Chapter 40

Harry's POV

We're on our way back to Hogwarts. Word of what happened has yet reached the prophet and Dumbledore has not been reinstated as headmaster yet as we know of.

This troubles me.

Umbridge knows that we have left school and broken several school rules. She's not going to take it easy on us.

I don't even think she cares that the minister has contacted her letting her know Voldemort really has returned.

She's probably working for him for all we know.

When we got to school, of course the first thing we would face is the devil herself.

"Using the floo system to leave school campus." She said with a sickly smile and tapping her foot. "Since you seem so determined to leave this school, I will personally guarantee that you can never step foot in this school again." She said.

Right. Like that will actually happen.

"Follow me." We all followed her into Hogwarts, ready for some unruly punishment in her office before Dumbledore will be back.

I think he'll be here later this afternoon once the ministry has sorted through some things.

As we walked down the hall, we couldn't help noticing that something seemed off.

Everyone in the school seemed to be out in the hallways, dead silent, staring at us as we go.

No one looked at us in disbelief, or disgust, or even hate. It was guilty, fear stricken eyes that seemed to only pierce me with the same, unsettling feeling.

"I'm sorry, Harry!" Someone shouted. I turned next to me to see a Gryffindor boy. I haven't really ever talked to him. He's a sixth year and I never really got to know him, but he is one of the boys that would hex me down the hallways. That much I knew.

"What?" I froze and stared wide eyed at him.

"For gossiping about you, not believing you, bullying you, and for just standing by when others bothered you. I'm sorry."

"I- it's alright, no hard feelings, I guess. You didn't really know." I replied, still utterly shocked at his sudden apology.

"What is going on in here?! Everyone, get to class!" Umbridge shouted.

"It's all over the daily prophet!" Neville shouted suddenly.

Everyone ignored Umbridge.

"What is?" Ron questioned.

"The fight you guys had at the ministry with Voldemort. Also an apology, stating you were right all along." Luna continued.

"Really? Already? I thought for sure they wouldn't have said anything until tomorrow." Hermione intervened.

"What is this nonsense?! Give me that!" She ripped a copy of the daily prophet out of a young girls hand.

She read it and her face grew incredibly pale.

"The ministry has lied to all of us!" Seamus yelled from beside Neville.

"How could they do that?! Especially about something so important!" Another student shouted.

"I hope they all get what they deserve for deceiving us like that! I'm sorry, Harry for not believing you!" A Ravenclaw girl shouted.

"We're all sorry, Harry. You were right and all of us were too afraid to admit that." Dean said.

"No. All of you! Back to your common rooms, immediately and any mention of this will have you expelled!"

"I don't think you have the power to do that now." Draco stated. "Dumbledore will be reinstated and you will be shunned, just like fudge is being now."