Chapter Twenty Two - Wondering Hands

Josie makes her way to Hope's room as fast as she can after hearing the news from her mother. Hope is walking out of her room in work out clothes, ready to go for a run. "Hey babe, want to come for a run with me?" Hope asks with a smile. Josie looks down at the clothes she's wearing and then back up at Hope. "I can wait for you to get changed if you want to come?" 

"Yeah sure, it's probably better if we talk while we are running" Josie says. Hope nods and they make their way to Josie's room where she gets changed. After they walk outside and begin jogging in the woods. 

"What did you want to talk about?" Hope asks. 

"My mum just got back to the school this morning. You know that because you made me late with your wondering hands" Josie says, rolling her eyes. Hope looks over at Josie and smirks. "Anyway she only came back because a coven of Italian witches are going to attack the school" Josie explains, she's starting to get out of breath. Hope stops running and Josie feels a sense of relief. 

"Why are they attacking the school?" Hope asks, confused. She still hasn't fully taken in what Josie said. In Hope's eyes, the Salvatore school is the safest place in the world. 

"Apparently they don't agree with all supernatural beings uniting in one place. They think it's dangerous" 

"That's ridiculous." Hope says as she leans against a nearby tree. "What are we up against?"

"Well Mum says that they are similar to the Gemini Coven... You know my crazy stuck in their way ancestors?" 

"Yeah. I know all about the Gemini coven... there is so much your dad hasn't told you about your ancestors" Hope murmurs. 

"What do you mean?" Josie asks, her eyebrow raised. 

"There is this thing that twins have to do in the Gemini line, something to do with coming up with a coven leader. It's called the merge but you and Lizzie don't have to do it anymore because well... Lizzie died, which automatically makes you Gemini leader" Hope explains. She moves towards Josie, who seems very confused. 

"I'm the Gemini Leader?" Josie asks, still taking it in.

"Technically, yes... You're the only living Gemini. But also I'm not to sure if I'm correct in saying that. I'm only sure that you and Lizzie won't have to merge." Hope tries to explain. "Maybe you should ask your father about this. I'm not the best person to explain it to you" Hope suggests as she scratches the back of her head. 

"I will make sure to do that but as my father likes to say... We have bigger fish to fry" Josie mutters. She takes a seat against a tree and Hope takes a seat next to her. "What are we going to do about this angry Italian witch coven?" 

"We don't have to worry about them... sure they're coming but we are a school of some of the strongest supernatural beings in the world. We'll have to evacuate the younger students but the older ones can beat them on their own. Also, I can speak to my dad again and he can bring all his New Orleans vampires, werewolves and witches" Hope says, placing her hand on Josie leg. "Just relax babe"

"I will once I know everyone in the school will be safe" Josie says before beginning to stand up but Hope pulls her back down, into her lap. She gives Josie a soft smile. 

"I promise you that everyone will be safe... They have no idea how much good this school is doing." Hope says, placing her hand on Josie waist. Josie rests herself against her and lets out a sigh. She feels safe in Hope's arms. 

"And if it does come to a fight... We can all protect each other." Hope says as she places a kiss on Josie's forehead. Josie stops for a moment, looking Hope in the eyes and it's like she sees her differently then she has ever seen her before. She realizes how selfless Hope is. Hope knows how dangerous the witches could be and in her head she isn't underestimating them but she wants to make it seem like no big deal to keep Josie calm. Josie sees right through this and is grateful for it. 

"One day I'm going to marry you" Josie says softly as she looks in Hope's eyes. 

"I sure hope so" Hope says with a small smile as she leans in to kiss her. 

*

Caroline steps into a town that many ordinary people have never heard, many ordinary people just stroll past it as if it's just a boring open field. That is because it is to a human eye but not to Caroline. Caroline, who is a vampire can see the beautiful Italian town perfectly. She makes her way into the main street where she notices witches doing spells openly. This causes Caroline to smile as she walks past Teenagers casting spells that make flower pedals fly up into the sky. She is then stopped in the park by a woman in maybe her late forties. 

"Vampire, what are you doing here? Intruding on our town?" The woman asks with an accusing voice. 

"I met a few Teenage witches in Rome, they told me to come here... I'm recruiting troubled supernatural teenagers for a school we have in America. It's called the Salvatore boarding school" Caroline explains to the woman. 

"A school for the supernatural?" The woman asks. "You mean to say Witches, Werewolves and Vampires are in the same place? THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS" The woman yells. 

"We only do good things, we don't recruit old vampires..." Caroline tries to explain but the woman cuts her off.

"This town is full of the strongest witches in the world, once they hear of this treachery... we will bring our wrath down on all of you" The woman says and with that she turns on her heel to walk away. 

"They are just kids" 

"All children are capable of becoming monsters eventually" The woman says before walking away completely. Caroline realizes the mistake she has made coming to this town, so she calls Alaric right away.