Chapter 20

Pip was in a dream. Well, his reality felt like something that would happen in a dream. He walked hand in hand with Krey, a very handsome guy, tall, muscular, and very mysterious.

People were staring, mostly at Krey. Pip was used to being invisible. He didn't know why Krey had seen him when the ones who were supposed to love him turned a blind eye to his existence.

Pip watched their hands as they walked. Their intertwined fingers were cute. Pip's hand was tiny compared to Krey's, and Krey's palm felt hot.

They walked to the café where Pip worked because the booths were always empty, and only older people bothered to go for lunch. Everyone in Crescent Town knew Pip and where he worked, so him being in the café wasn't unusual, though he was usually alone.

For some reason, those who stared at Krey were uncomfortable and couldn't look for long. Pip assumed Krey's scowl was too intense, though there was something about him, something different from those around them.

Pip slotted himself into the booth, watching as Krey slowly sat too, scoping out the faces in the café. Krey radiated something intense. Pip felt like he was always trying to catch his breath whenever Krey looked at him.

Krey scanned the menu, interested by the page dedicated entirely to tea.

Pip subconsciously rubbed a hand on his chest, clearing his throat. His lungs were a little wheezy. Pip had woken up ill and running through the woods didn't help his tight chest.

Krey watched him with narrowing eyes.

"Um," Pip whispered, shifting under his deep brown gaze. "I-If you buy tea, I'll buy you coffee."

Krey stopped narrowing his eyes, frowning instead. "No." He climbed from the booth and stormed through tables towards the counter. Debra was crouched under the desk, stacking glasses. "You," Krey said, glaring.

Debra turned, shocked to see a tall and grumpy man staring back. "Excuse me. My name is Debra. It would be polite of you to use it."

Krey's hard face didn't change. "Debra, why do you have so many flavours of tea?"

Debra looked behind him and to her co-worker sitting at the booth, twiddling his thumbs. "Are you with Pip?"

"Yes."

"Are you buying him tea?"

"Yes."

"Are you on a date?"

Krey almost answered but caught himself last minute. He stood up straighter. "What tea does Pip like?"

"Why don't you ask him?"

"I'm here now." Krey's face was as blank as the marble counter. Talking to humans, and not trying to dominate them was a challenge. Krey was used to having authority. Omegas might be the bottom of the pack, but humans were so beneath him, Krey constantly reminded himself to act like equals when face-to-face with them.

He couldn't help but think that way. He wasn't just a werewolf, but an Alpha at that.

"He likes anything, so just close your eyes and point."

Krey sighed and stabbed the menu with the end of his finger. Debra didn't like him, but most humans didn't.

"One chamomile tea. Anything else?"

"Black coffee, no sugar." Krey put the change on the counter hard enough for the people sitting at the bar to glance over.

Debra looked from Krey to Pip, then back to Krey's stone-like face. She leaned over the counter and said in a hushed tone, "Pippor is the sweetest kid I've ever known. If you hurt him, just know that you won't get away with it."