Chapter 74

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

I threw my painkillers quickly into my mouth. The pain got worse everyday, and the worst part was, I was in no way trying to end up in the hospital. No one could know what happened, or how I got that scar. I had been so busy dealing with detention and my family that I never really thought to make out time to see Obianuju. She was the only person that knew. The only person that could help me. It was just a cut anyway. All she had to do was clean it and stitch me back up, and I'd be good again.

"Jerry!"

I threw the bottle of aspirin right into my sports locker and jammed it the moment I heard Kingsley call my name. I didn't even have to turn to look, but I could feel he was approaching me. I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself. I had tried to avoid him and everyone else, since math class for the right reasons. I slowly turned to him as fast as I could before he caught on.

"What's up?"

"I've been looking for you everywhere." He continued with a tiny smile on his face. Really tiny. You'd have to look really close to notice.

"Really? Why?"

He shrugged his shoulders.

"You know why." He told me. "It's about what happened in maths class." I squinted my eyes, pretending to not know what he was referring to. "About Kora."

Oh.

I turned back to my locker, and then pulled it open again, reaching for my tennis racket. I felt him run to my locker. He was trying to get my attention by all means.

"Bro, I didn't tell you what happened between her and Charles just so you could turn around and take his side." He continued. "Is this about his family pressing charges against yours? Is that why you're doing this? Is that why you're taking his side? Is that why you said what you said? I thought you said you liked her?" He scoffed.

"Not going to lie, I'm really disappointed you could do that to her. And what's with you holding hands with Oma now? Are you back together again? What's going to happen to Kora? How can you treat her like that and say all those things to her? At this point, I'm beginning to really consider the fact that you don't have a heart beating inside of you-"

I slammed the door loudly, and I could tell it made him jump in fright the moment I turned around to face him again. I still let myself frown, not because I wanted to, but because I couldn't help myself. I was going through a painful phase as far as my body was concerned, and his nagging wasn't helping me in any way.

"How can you be so heartless." He whispered his last words, but I could still hear him. Was he really that worried about Kora? I exhaled.

"I'm doing this for her." Now I had to come clean to him. I was going to eventually, but now that he had brought it up- "Kora," I continued, staring into his eyes with my dull ones. "I'm doing this for her."