Chapter Eight: Mia

Joe's point of view

You ran to the bathroom the second I woke up, leaving me with a thin blanket that barely covered my body. Why you took the cover with you, I don't know. Maybe you're insecure. But you don't need to be. You're probably looking at yourself in the mirror right now, you're beautiful. You know damn well you are.

Your pink lipstick is all over my neck, some on the pillow. It's sticky. But I don't care, you had fun last night. I'm glad you did. I'm glad I could please you, you deserve it. Though thanks to the rubbed off makeup and the small blood trail, my bed is a fucking mess. Maybe I should go bed shopping again.

I know that Stephanie heard us last night. I was making you scream for that purpose as well. So she can be mad. So that she knows you have options. Brandon is out of your life for good, and you have room for a new, true friend. Perhaps a Camille 2.0.

You've been in the bathroom for too long. "Are you okay?" I asked, knocking on the door.

"Yeah." You said with a sigh. "I'll be out in a second."

You're not okay. And that's fine, I just took your virginity. Something that you planned to have taken after marriage. Why do I feel like shit because of this?

~

I got ready to leave around twenty minutes after you left. Just my luck, Stephanie was leaving too. "You've got to be kidding me." She said.

"What?" I asked.

"What, are you and Mia a thing now?" She questioned. "That quick?" She scoffed. "Jesus. She has the most interesting taste in men."

And so do you, from what I know now.

"Umm, we're really trying to keep this a secret Stephanie." I replied.

Stephanie chuckled. "Oh please, Mia is on her way to her Great Value Hooters job, and spill all the tea to Camille. And to Marnie, which is fucking weird. Trust me, Goldberg. It ain't a secret for long." She looked down at my shirt. "Evanescence fan?"

I nodded my head. "Amy Lee more than the band itself."

Stephanie raised an eyebrow. "You might not be as lame as I thought." She said, pulling her mink coat closer to her and leaving.

Was that a compliment?

~

I remember this place all too well. This is where we bought your bed. You and I, Beck. But I'm not here for you.

"Show me your best queen sized bed please." I asked an employee. No matter how many red ladle's and sheets similar to the ones you had, I am over you Beck. I am in love with Mia. And she is amazing. She is everything I ever wanted.

"Do you think... I'm unremarkable?"

No. No. No. No!

"Do you want just a regular bed, or a Sleep Number?" The employee asked.

"Just a regular one will be fine, preferably firm." I answered. What is the point of the Sleep Number bed? Why can't people just get used to what they have?

"You'll have to look." The employee replied before leaving. Well, fuck you too. Why are you in my head, everywhere I go? This is ridiculous, I can't take it anymore. Beck, leave!

~

"People lie to you all the time. It's life. But when they use you for what you have, it's war."

Why did you post this? Did something happen after you left? Did you lie to me and meet Stephanie for a subtle possibly not subtle confrontation? Stephanie is behind this. I just know it.

"My question is, why am I carrying this up here by myself, when you are on Facebook?" Ethan asked. I held my pointer up, ignoring him. "Umm, Joe."

I looked up. And there you were, you were holding up your phone, screen facing me and Ethan. You got a new case. That's not the problem. "Joseph Goldberg." You began. "A.K.A, the "anonymous tip"?"

Shit.

~

"Are you fucking serious!?" You yelled. We were now in my apartment. Ethan struggled to push the bed, but eventually made it to my room and rested it against the wall.

"I didn't mean any harm, Mia, really." I lied.

"Umm, should I be here for th-".

"No!" You and I yelled at the same time, interrupting Ethan. You began once again after he left. "Why!?"

"Mia, you need to look at the positive side. If it wasn't for me, your "boyfriend" and your best friend would've been doing this behind your back longer than they have been." I explained.

"It's none of your business, Joe!" You yelled again, now getting tears in your eyes. "Who the hell are you, to do something like that? You don't even know me."

I sighed. "You're right. You're right."

You folded your arms and started tapping your foot. "Why did you do it?"

I walked over to my old, sheet-less bed and sat down. "After Marnie hooked me up with that modeling job, I remember seeing the way you two looked at each other when you said goodbye. I can tell you really loved him. And I thought he was sincere. Then when he showed me around, someone called him. And when I asked, he told me it was his girlfriend."

You paused. "I didn't call him that day."

This is where I start to lie, I shouldn't lie to you. You deserve nothing but the truth. But this is for your own good.

"That's when I asked him about you, because of course I knew him through Marnie, and Marnie is well, -"

"My sister. And then what?" You asked.

I stood up. "He showed me all of his contacts. Alicia, Sarah, whatever female name that existed, it was probably in that phone. You were "M". Okay, that was the truth. A little.

"And Stephanie?" You questioned. "What, you did all of this because you felt bad for me or something?"

"I did it because you were going through hell and you didn't even know it." I said. "You probably wondering how I got through Brandon's phone, right? I told him my phone died, needed to borrow his. And then I sent all the screenshots to my phone."

I looked at you. You are fucking shattered. "You needed the truth. And I'm sorry it came out like this but-"

"I need to get back to work." You said, turning around and leaving.

"Wait, Mia, please." I begged as I followed you. You paused once you opened the door. Stephanie was sitting on the steps going up to the next floor. Paco used to sit there all the time when Ron and Claudia were arguing. So that he could read his books in peace. You turned around to me, then grabbed me by the collar of my shirt and kissed me.

Stephanie scoffed and all I heard next was the door slam. You broke the kiss off and looked at me. "Just leave me alone, Joe." That's all you said before leaving.

What the fuck was that?