Chapter 75

Kora

Kora

"I still can't believe he did that to you, and in front of all those people."

I was barely paying any attention to Grace's words. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I had forgotten we were on our way to the football field, as a matter of fact, we were there already. Don't blame me, I had a lot to think about. A lot about Jeremiah. Something didn't just feel right, something about what happened during math class didn't feel right, and I just couldn't point my finger on it.

"Thank God I wasn't there to witness what happened. I don't know what I'd have done to him if I was. Can you imagine? How could he be so ruthless? I always knew he was going to do something like this eventually. I just wished he had the decency to at least not be so loud about it."

We got to the front bench. I dropped my gym bag first, and then Grace followed, taking a quick look around the bleachers. I was looking for him. He usually sat at the fifth row towards my right- I froze the moment my eyes met his. Jeremiah's. Just like I had expected him too, just like I had hoped he did. He was sitting right there with his eyes glued on me. I could count about six members of old money sitting right around him. Gosh, he looked so cool sitting right in the middle of them, in his jersey, with his racket on his thighs. I could hear his friends laugh amongst themselves, but he just had his eyes on me, and it made me really nervous. I could feel a chill pass through me. How could he still look at me, after what he did? Why did I even care?! He slowly looked away, and then turned to his friends. I watched him laugh along with them as they told him whatever it was that amused them. I sneered, tucking the strands of my long straight weave behind my ears.

"Look at him," Grace continued. "Look at all of them. Demons. I feel like ripping them all apart with my bare hands."

I smiled.

It felt so good that Grace was at least trying to cheer me up. It looked like she was even more upset than I was, and her jokes were to die for.

"Look on the bright side, it was never going to work between you two. It's a good thing that we know his true intentions now that he showed his real colors, before you went in too deep. At least now, everyone would let you breathe." She gave me a soft tap on my arm. I slowly raised my head back to him. He was still talking to his friends. He looked so comfortable, so happy too. Was it true? Was it real? Was this really him? Did he really take advantage of me all along? But what for?

Why did he have to go through all that for me, just to turn his back on me now? To what end were all the sacrifices that he made? Fighting with Charles? Something was definitely not right. I could feel it in my heart. I slowly turned to Grace, and the rest of the girls. It was our class' turn to play hand ball. The girls anyway. I'd really have preferred not to join in, because sports wasn't really my thing, but Grace had pulled me all the way to the field, and now I just had to play, so everyone didn't think I was a snob, or that I felt that I was bigger or better than them.