Chapter 11

A black-haired witch stood at the door. She had a very stern looking expression, and Anna made a mental note to never cross her. The woman led the students down the huge entrance hall, and into a small, empty chamber.
"Welcome to Hogwarts." The woman, who said that they could call her Professor McGonagall, greeted them. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you house points, while any rule-breaking will lose you points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. Now, the Sorting Ceremony will take place in front of the rest of the school. I shall return when we are ready for you."
Professor McGonagall left then, and Anna bit her lip. They would be sorted in front of the whole school. What if she did something to embarrass herself?
"Don't worry," Hermione assured her. "I'm sure that you'll do fine."
Anna gave her a small smile. "Thanks Hermione." Suddenly she gasped, along with the rest of the students. About twenty ghosts floated into the room. They were arguing about someone named Peeves, whoever that was. One of the ghosts suddenly seemed to notice the students.
"New students!" He exclaimed, smiling at them. "About to be sorted I suppose?"
A few students silently nodded, everyone too scared to actually speak.
"Hope to see you in Hufflepuff! My old house, you know."
"Move along, now." Snapped a sharp voice which Anna quickly identified as belonging to Professor McGonagall. One by one, the ghosts floated back through the wall. Professor McGonagall cleared her throat before turning to the students. "Now form a line and follow me."
Everyone rushed to do so. Like Anna, they realized the woman was not one to be trifled with. Anna walked behind Hermione, and in front of a pug-faced girl named Pansy Parkinson. Anna disliked Pansy immediately, from the moment that Pansy started making fun of Hermione, taunting her and calling her a Mudblood. Anna didn't know what a Mudblood was, but she could tell that it was a slur of some sort.
"I'd be careful if I were you." Anna growled at Pansy. "At least she doesn't look like a dog."
"Watch it, Potter." Pansy snapped. "Or you may find yourself in a very uncomfortable situation."
"Is that a threat?"
"It's a promise."
"Don't." Hermione hissed to Anna. "You don't need to be getting into trouble on your first night."
Anna took a deep breath. Hermione was right. They were led into the Great Hall, where hundreds of students were gathered. To control her rising anxiety, Anna diverted her attention to an extremely worn-looking hat that sat perched on a stool. Anna wondered if the hat had anything to do with how they would be sorted. For about ten seconds, complete silence filled the Hall, then the hat began to sing:
"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindor apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've A ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"
The entire hall burst out into loud applause, and the hat bowed to them before going still. So all that they had to do was try on the Hat. That didn't seem too hard to Anna. One by one people were called forwards. Hannah Abbot was sorted into Hufflepuff. Terry Boot was placed in Ravenclaw. Hermione was put in Gryffindor. Then..."Potter, Anna!"
Anna slowly walked forwards and sat on the stool, looking out at the hundreds of students as Professor McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on her head.