Chapter 2 - Dreaming of You

***ADVANCED CHAPTERS AVAILABLE ON INKITT. Right now (March 29, 2018), there are already 18 chapters up on Inkitt for FREE. I post chapters there as soon as I finish writing them.

Please read there if you want more chapters. Next update here on Wattpad will be on: April 5 (GMT + 8) ***

CHAPTER 2- DREAMING OF YOU

Aerith's Room
New York City
Almost Eighteen Years Later

-Aerith-

-♔-

Danger filled the air and it made all the hair in my body stand on end. The smoke made me cough and I flung open the doors of the balcony to get fresh air into my starving lungs.

I looked to my left and right but there was no means of escape! Suddenly, the door to my room fell and there was a sudden burst of flames. The nearby curtain caught fire and it spread so fast. Soon the flames will consume this balcony too!

I leaned out of the window and screamed at the top of my lungs, "Help! Anyone, please! Help me!" But it was the middle of the night and there were no people loitering on the streets to hear me.

I immediately regretted screaming for I inhaled too much smoke. I coughed and heaved but I was already feeling weak and lightheaded with every second that passed. My knees buckled and I was falling towards the soot-covered floor.

I braced myself for the pain but it did not come.

Instead, I felt warm arms catch me and pull me close. I opened my eyes and looked up at the owner of those arms around me. Then, I started coughing.

"I'm here. You're safe," he whispered.

He lifted me into his arms and finally, I was able to see his face. I know that face. I've memorized every inch of it. To sum it all up: he was breathtaking. He had dark hair that was in a messy, just-got-out of bed way. He had grey eyes which were the color of the sky just before it rains. They were so beautiful that I wanted to stare at them forever.

"Hold on to me. Brace yourself," he whispered.

Then, without another word, he jumped from the balcony. I wanted to scream but only a squeak came out for there was this sudden feeling of my stomach rising up my throat.

This was how I was going to die.

There was no way we'd survive a jump this – at least not with several broken bones!

I closed my eyes and held on tight. There was a jolt as we landed. I opened my eyes and realized that he landed on his feet and looked nothing worse for wear.

"How?" I asked. My voice was hoarse from all the coughing earlier. He just shrugged and smiled. That smile melted everything inside me, reducing me to a puddle of goo in his arms.

"I believe thanks should be in order," he said, eyes gleaming with mischief. Then, his head started to descend. His eyes closed and his hold on me tightened.

This was it. Finally, he's going to kiss me! I closed my eyes and waited for his lips to touch mine. Then suddenly, I was being shaken very roughly. I opened my eyes and saw that my handsome rescuer who was about to kiss me was now shaking me very roughly.

"Wha—?" before I finished what I was saying, his lips moved.

"Wake up," he screeched.

Wait. Screeched? His mouth formed the words but somehow it wasn't his voice for the voice I heard was very high and shrill.