; CHAPTER 9 ; - Memories of Melody

Its been over two years.

Two years since he tried to kill himself, thinking that the world would be a better place without him. That people would be better off without his burden.

But now, he was better than ever. Physically, at least. He has been in college for two years now; staying with Jotaro in a small apartment in America, studying Botany while Jotaro sought after his Marine Biology dream. He had gained a lot more weight, looking pretty normal again as before. Not to mention, he could walk a lot better. He still needed braces (and the occasional crutch), because as nice as it is to be alive, he would never be the same. And the redhead eventually came to terms with that, making do with what he had and doing the best he could.

Even his mother was better. At least, she had been acting it, her smile bright every time Kakyoin had called her. She hadn't had someone as diligent as him to check on her, so his voice was something she looked forward to every day. His father had work, and often missed days of making sure she was okay. That's where Kakyoin came in, being sure she had eaten or taken her meds. He made sure she was well, even if he wasn't himself.

It's been two years since he's been with Jotaro. Jotaro is the one who was always there for him, made sure he was alright and well kept. Jotaro is the one that kept him sane.

"Jotaro, what do you want for dinner? You haven't eaten all day, so don't say you aren't hungry." He knew the raven-haired boy too well, he often got stuck in his studies and would go hours on end without eating. "Mmnh... Ramen is fine." He murmurs back, flipping the page of his textbook. Kakyoin pushed his lips together. "I'll make Oyakodon." That gets his attention, causing his curly-haired head to look up. As much as he loved his mothers cooking (it will forever be his favorite), Kakyoin's comes in a close second. The boy just has such a good cooking style, he's sure anyone would love it. "Mmh."

A soft chuckle comes from the boy as he walks off back to the kitchen, eyes closed for a moment before he opens them once again and goes to grab the fridge handle, opening it and pulling the ingredients out. He had just bought then yesterday, planning to make it for dinner then but they ended up going out to get some food because he grew too weak. "Jotaro, can you come and help me?" It's a moment before the man comes, the thumping of his heavy steps easily heard through the quiet apartment. Hands slide to hold the smaller close, pressing gentle kisses to the side of his neck before he rested his chin against his shoulder. "What do you need help with?"

"How are you feeling today?" Kakyoin is laying in bed as he says this, arms wrapped around his sleeping boyfriend. "I feel fine. The doctors have been nice to me... I also got to speak to father today again." There's silence from his end of the line before he just smiles. "That's great. How is he doing?" He knew who she meant, now. Her 'father' was his fatherher husband. He had been completely replaced in her mind as a blood family relation.

"He is doing well! Misses you I think. He stares at the door expectingly! You should come to visit again." More quiet yet again from Kakyoin's side as he bites his lip. "I will when summer comes around. ACA just ended for us, so it'll be a few months.. but I will come."

"Bring your friend too!"

"And place that there—no, no there." Jotaro grunted as he placed the garnish on top of the soupy liquid, not really understanding WHY he had to. It was gonna be eaten here in a little bit.. "Perfect! You did so well~" Kakyoin chuckles, kissing his lips lovingly and escaping his hold; grabbing the two bowls and setting the table. Jotaro ended up dropping his slight aggravation and smiled, coming to a stop as he approached the table moments after. Kakyoin was already about to dig in, starving. And frankly, Jotaro was too. Taking a seat, he mumbles a quiet "itadakimasu" before bowing his head and beginning to eat; Kakyoin follows short after.