Chapter 45 - Family Affairs

Niccolo's POV

The lunch at my parents' house is today but I needed to run a quick errand. I told Sierra I needed to sort out a few things at the warehouse and left her relaxing on the couch with Major and a carton of strawberries.

I chuckle as I'm driving on the freeway. It has been an absolute joy since I got her back. Everything has fallen into place and I will keep on making sure the rest follows suit. Every time I think back on where I used to be over a year ago, it still feels dreamlike.

Sierra told me that the baby and I are her second chance but she doesn't realize that they are mine too. She has given me the second chance at love, the second chance at being a father, the second chance at living life again, the second chance at happiness. She has given me all of it. And this all made me more determined as ever to make sure I cherish the second chance to its fullest.

I park my car, getting out onto the dirt road. I take off my sunglasses, heading inside. The lady behind the counter looks up and her face lights up.

"Mr. De Luca, what a lovely surprise. What can I do for you today?"

"Hi, Karen." I smile in greeting.

"What brings you by?"

"I want to adopt a puppy. But I need you to keep him or her for another 2 weeks. Would that be possible?" I ask her.

"Of course it will! Do you want to go choose one now?" I give her a smile and nod before we make our way to the enclosure. I spend a good 30 minutes in there, mainly playing instead of actually doing what I came here for.

I noticed a young pup, smaller than the rest, trying to get to me but kept getting shoved away. I reached over and picked her up. Once I had her against my chest, she snuggled into the crook of my neck before giving me a few licks on my cheek. However, her demeanor soon changed as she became more comfortable.

She bit onto the hem of my shirt when I sat her on my lap. She turns her body and starts pulling on it, little growls escaping her with each pull. After 3 pulls she would shake her head vigorously with her tightened grip.

"Oh, I see how it is. You act all innocent and now you want to play dirty with this feistiness. If ever there were a perfect fit..." I trail off while shaking my head amongst my chuckling.

I called Karen, handed her the naughty pooch and signed all the necessary documents before heading back home. I walked in, heading into the lounge first which was where I had left her but it was empty. I followed the connecting path into the kitchen. Also empty.

I made my way upstairs and upon entering the bedroom I saw her. She had her earphones in and was humming to a tune while flipping through a magazine, Major sitting beside her pillow.

I walked into the room, alerting Major to my presence. She had yet to notice me but when Major began shifting she leaned over and kissed the top of his head before her eyes snapped up and met mine. She gave me one of those gorgeous smiles of hers as she lay her head on top of Major's, before taking the earphones out.

"Hey babe. I didn't hear you come in." She flipped her legs over the edge and made her way over to me, placing her hands on my chest before lifting herself to kiss me on the lips.

"You ready for lunch?" I muttered into her lips in between our kisses.

"I am fucking curious about this lunch." She pulled back amused.

"Oh, it's definitely going to be fun, I'll tell you that," I replied with a chuckle.

"Well, let's go then!" She exclaimed, dragging me by the hand, provoking my laughs.