008

a few hours away from each other...

Luke Skywalker hated New York City

It was sad and ugly. When he was younger, perhaps he would have looked up at the tall buildings in awe. Hell, maybe he would've done that just last year. He seemed to age so quickly these days. Maybe that meant he was destined for an early death. He shook his head quickly, as if doing so would knock those thoughts right out. It didn't.

It was nighttime now, and he still hadn't left their hotel room. He was staring out at what little view he had of the city. The sidewalks themselves appeared to be angry, their gray faces marked up with scuffs and scratches of all sorts. Luke wished he had the same luxury of hatred that they did.

*

"Avery!" Ella cried, pulling her into a hug.

She had known where to find them. They were scattered about the bridge, a few of them snacking away or lighting cigarettes. Some boys were huddled together on the other side, trying to strike a match against the railing. She rolled her eyes.

"Hey," she smiled tightly, moving to stand next to her friend. "How was practice?"

"Oh, it was about the same as always. You're gonna have one hell of a punishment run to do when you get back."

"I figured as much," she snorted.

They stayed quiet for only a moment, someone in their group making a loud sound that ruined their comfortable silence. It was Ian, she realized.

"Look, everyone! Avery's back!" he shouted.

"Yeah," Avery replied, not anywhere close to matching his enthusiasm.

"Tell us about the weird kid," hollered a girl who was sitting down. "The one from Friday."

"Oh, uh, I guess he's alright. I don't know. He's in New York City now," she explained.

"New York? Is that where he's from?"

"Something like that."

"Well, if he knows what's good for him, he'll stay there," Ian butted in, puffing his chest out a bit.

"Oh, yeah? What are you gonna do, Ian? You gonna kick the kid's ass for running off into the night with your girl?" a different boy snickered.

"If I have to, then I will."

"Quit, Ian," Avery sighed. "We aren't together— but even if we were, Luke could take you in a fight."

"Luke? You're on a first name basis with him now?"

This was something she could do all day. She had almost missed Ian, even if it was only for his explosive nature. She was used to this type of interaction: arguing. It wasn't something Luke had liked to entertain, but she could do it until her lungs gave out.