Chapter 19

"So, Hatori..." Shigure spoke, leaning back against the chair in his office while holding his phone up to his ear. "Is it really true that when someone cuts their hair impulsively it could be a sign of some underlying mental condition?"

"In certain cases, yes. Is this for another one of your stories again?" He inquired through the phone, sounding less than pleased to be asked such an off topic question.

"Ah! Maybe I should use it in a story! But anywho, no, it's not currently for one of my stories." He sighed and relaxed back into his chair more. "You see, Morumotto came down this morning to eat breakfast and her hair barely reached her shoulders! It did look pretty well cut however, her hair seemed to be a uniform leng-"

Hatori cut off his rambling "Has she done anything else? Has she painted at all? Has she seemed interested in interacting with the other three?"

Shigure let out a soft chuckle "Seems like someone's pretty worried.~ But I haven't seen her paint anything. Other than that, when she's at dinner she barely speaks a word. And I've heard from the three that she barely talks to them when they're going to or at school." There was a short pause on both lines before Shigure decided to break it.

"Hellooo? Hatori? Ignoring me are yo-?"

"I won't be able to get over there until next week. From what you're telling me I can only assume that she's adjusting poorly to this whole situation...but we won't know exactly what she's feeling unless she outrightly says it." Hatori paused for a moment to shift the topic slightly "Now. You're not a professional in any sort of way, so please don't try to coax anything out of he-"

Shigure smiled "Ah! I see what you're saying! She just needs to talk about it, no need to worry about a thing Hatori~ I'm sure we can get her to confide in us."

"That's not what I mea-" Hatori was cut off quickly.

"See you next week!" Shigure spoke before promptly hanging up the phone, leaving Hatori speechless.

————

"So you're sayin'....Hatori, a doctor with certification and everything....wants us to try and get whatever's buggin' Motto out of her?" Kyo asked in disbelief, his arms crossed as he leaned against the living room wall.

"I really doubt that Hatori would say something like that." Yuki spoke, sitting in front of the table with his arms crossed in disbelief as well.

"He really did say it! Why don't you guys believe me..." Shigure spoke with a pout "Hatori said he wouldn't be here until next week, so we have to do it in his stead!"

Tohru looked at Shigure before looking down at her lap "I mean, it's true that Motto hasn't been herself lately...well, I mean, she hasn't been like she was before. I really want to help her."

The whole room was silent for a moment before Kyo was the first one to break it "Well, might as well give it a shot then."

Yuki still looked unsure as he looked down at the table in front of him, lost in his thoughts about this whole ordeal.

————

I was sitting with Tohru up on the roof, eating lunch. She had invited me up here to eat with her so we could have a lunch together so I 'wouldn't feel overwhelmed' in her words. I had to admit...it was kind of nice not being in a crowd for once.

Tohru looked nervous the whole time though...was I doing something to intimidate her? Scare her? I really hoped that wasn't the case...But, I was broken out of those thoughts by her speaking to me.

"Motto..." She began softly "Have I ever told you about my Mom?"

Her Mom...? Why would she mention something like that...? But I don't even recall her mentioning her Mom before. So, I shook my head no in response.

"Well...my Mom...she was an amazing woman. Strong, funny, always happy..." She had a smile on her face, it weakening as she moved onto the next sentence "She died in an accident...and..well...for the longest time I convinced myself that I was fine. That I was strong, and independent. But, one night there was a big event at the Sohma main estate that Shigure, Yuki, and Kyo had to go to for New Years. I said I would be fine...but Yuki and Kyo was right through me...they rushed back to the house and saw me crying! It was a little embarrassing...but it made me happy. And it made me feel wonderful knowing how much Yuki and Kyo cared about me."

That...was a really sad and sweet story... She must be super lucky to have such good people around her all the time.

"What I'm trying to say is..." Tohru began, a soft smile on her face "It's okay if you're not fine, Motto. Everyone cares about you so much! We're here for you."

Oh, so that's what this was about...

"I'm fine..." I spoke softly in response "I'm just...not used to getting out this often. Plus, there's no reason for me to be sad or anything but fine. I'm out of that room at the main estate...what more can I ask for?"

Tohru looked at me with sad eyes and a smile before speaking "Well....okay then. If you need anything, just let me know, okay?"

I nodded in response with a small smile before the bell had rung. We quickly packed up our things before going back down to the classroom to sit through the rest of the day.

I was fine. I was away from Akito and that house, I don't need him...I don't need him anymore. He practically forced me out of the main estate...so it seemed like he didn't need me anymore either.