Chapter 77

Kora

Kora

I took a deep breath and then let it out. I had my hands on the door knob for over fifteen minutes since I walked to the door leading into the dean's office. Fighting my subconscious and trying to decide if I really wanted to walk through it or not. Trying to calm my nerves and wrap my head around everything that had happened.

Just face it Kora, what's the worst that could happen anyway? It's not like you were going to be asked to withdraw your application because of something like this.

I guess I just had to be myself. I just had to summon my inner courage. I finally got the courage to knock once right before I twisted the door knob and walked in, taking my time. I just had to get it done and over with even though my entire body was trembling.

"Thank God she's here."

I slowly turned around so I could at least look him straight in the eye but then I paused the moment I realized that he wasn't the only one in the large room. There was someone else sitting right across him with her hands trembling right on top of her handbag. She turned to face me the moment I walked in.

"Mum?" I squinted my eyes, trying to make sure I was seeing rightly. What on earth was my mum doing in school? What was she doing in the deans office and why did she look so scared?

"Kora." She got up quickly and then rushed to my side. She grabbed my hands as fast as she could. I could tell she had been crying, I could also see the tears in her eyes.

"Mum." Now I could only whisper. What on earth was going on? Why did it feel like this was more than the news going around school.

"Miss Obidi, may I have your attention please?" I slowly turned to the forty something year old man sitting comfortably across us in his deep blue suit.

"Why-what-"

He leaned closer to his table and I followed his gaze until it led me to the transparent bags on it. What were those and why did it feel like they were somehow linked with why my mum looked a mess? I tried to have a good look at them.

"These were retrieved from your room this afternoon, after we got some anonymous tip that you might have been hiding them in there." The man continued. "Do you know what they are?"

I didn't understand. Did he just say he found those bags in my room? The same room I slept in? How on earth was that possible? I had never even seen those bags in my life. I didn't even know what they were.

"N-no." I stammered even though I could feel my mothers hands wrapped around mine, trying to give me the courage and confidence I needed. "I've never seen these bags in my life Mr Donald. I don't even know what they are."

I watched the man stare at me for a short while with his elbow on the arm of his seat and his jaw on his fingers right before he leaned closer to the table. His eyes still on me.