Flashback

Chapter 13 - recap

"Lucy, I'm sorry I haven't seen you in a while and-" I cut him off.

"A while? A while is a few months. It's been four years," I clench my fists.

"And I'm sorry Lucy," he apologizes.

"No you aren't! You have said sorry before and gone right back to sleeping with random women, drinking and gambling away everything!" I seethe.

"Lucy, please," he pleaded.

"No! You should have thought about this before you abandoned me for money and women!" I shout and run away with tears streaming down my face. Everyone stopped and looked from him to me as I crashed out the garden doors.

"Lucy!"

• * •

Chapter 14 - Flashback

Hot tears streamed freely down my cheeks as I ran through the cobblestone paths, winding my way deeper into a place long forgotten in my memory. I hit the stone wall that surrounded the central fountain and slowly made my way around it and into the center. A large fountain stood, empty and lifeless. The cold had forced it to stop its usual gurgle, and all the plants where dying.

I sunk to my knees, holding my temples. Sobs racked my body causing it to shake violently. Tears splattered onto my dress and the stones beneath me. Why? Why did I have to see him? What kind of cruel fate made me cross paths with him again?

"Lucy!"

I ignored the voice. Instead I pushed myself to my feet and ran deeper into the garden. It was like the games I used to play with Natsu. My mother would bring me over and we would play while both of our mothers visited. I remember my mother used to warn me not to play in the dirt with Natsu- but I did it anyway.

I came to a stop at the bench my mom got for Natsu and I to have in the garden. I hesitantly sat down, feeling the grain, remembering my mother. I was happy when she was alive. We all where. She was a beautiful ray of happiness and sunshine and she made everything better.

I sat there, tears on my cheeks, letting my mind slip back to a time I tried too hard to forget. I didn't want to suffer through that pain again. And it seemed all he did was bring it with him everywhere he went. I heard footsteps approaching and I leapt up and tried to take off but muscular arms encased me. I squirmed and fought as more tears fell.

"Let go!" I gasp.

"Lucy, Lucy! It's alright! It's me!" I heard Natsu's voice and I froze. He turned me around and frowned at my tear stained face.

"Natsu? Why can't I escape the past?" I whisper. He hugged me tightly.

"The past makes us who we are Lucy. And you can't escape yourself."

I buried my head into his shoulder and continued to cry silently. I wasn't sure how long we stood there but the cold air was only getting colder as the sun had disappeared. I shivered and curled up against Natsu who was almost radiating heat.

"Lucy, let's go inside okay?" Natsu broke the hug.

"Y-yeah..." I nod and follow him back into the mansion. Most of the guests where leaving at this point and it was just Romeo's family and a few others who stayed later than the rest. My father was gone, and a sigh of relief escaped me. Mrs. Dragneel caught sight of me and hurried over to me and embraced me in a hug.

"Lucy I'm so sorry," she gushed, "I didn't think he would show up!"

I shake my head, "No it's fine, really," I assure her. She releases me and gives me a small smile. Then she smiles and looks to Igneel.

"Igneel! Did your son inform you of his recent change in relationship status?" She asks her husband. Igneel shakes his head.

"No, Natsu failed to mention anything besides the topic at hand."

"Well," Mrs. Dragneel smiled, "Natsu and Lucy are dating!" She tells him.

Igneel smiles, "I'm glad to see Natsu chose someone we know and love so well." I blush slightly and Natsu smiles at me.

"Well, Lucy we will see you at thanksgiving in a few days. Wendy! Come on dear!" Mrs. Dragneel calls Wendy over from her friend who was leaving. We all said our goodbyes and left, climbing into the limousine. I leaned my head on Natsu's shoulder and fell asleep quickly.

When we arrived back Natsu gently woke me up and helped me up the stairs to the apartment. I trudged to his room and pulled off my clothes. I quickly pulled on some pants as Natsu came in. He didn't seem affected when he saw me. He tossed me a hoodie.

"Wear that since it's cold," he ordered. I nodded and pulled it over my head. After I pulled the giant hoodie over me Natsu came over to me and stood before me. He had his thumbs hooked in his newly adorned jeans' belt loops. He looks at my face for the longest time, his brow slightly furrowed like he was focusing.

A small amount of blush covered my cheeks. Finally I murmured, "Why are you staring at me you dork?"

He smirked and chuckled before pulling my close to him. "Because, I never want to forget your beautiful face Lucy Heartfilia. And I never want to forget how much I love you."

• * •

Chapter 15 - A Thanksgiving To Forever Remember - Preview

"Natsu!" I screamed his name. "Natsu! Please! Answer me!"

Officers held me back as tears ravaged my face. "No! Please!" I gasped, reaching my arms past the men. "I have to see him! Please!" I sob.

"Ma'am please, calm down. Now tell us who did this?" One officer tried calming me.

"It was them! Those damn men who tried to take me!"