Chapter 22

"What did she mean by making it easier for her?" I asked Kasey while keeping my eyes on Darlene's retrieving figure.

"Who knows." Kasey nudged the grass underneath her feet with the tip of her shoe. "In her state of delusion who knows what she's talking about."

Her words were void of any hint that she might be hiding anything from me. Her refusal to meet my eyes, however, told me otherwise.

"What aren't you telling me?"

"It's nothing." She turned away from me and headed toward the first line of houses. "Let's go back. I'm sure the others are already wondering where we are."

"Kasey," I drawled out her name. "Tell me what I'm missing."

She stopped walking, but didn't turn around to face me. "Is this an order from the High Priestess or a question from a friend?"

For a second I was surprised by her use of the word friend. I hadn't really thought about her as my friend, but in a way that's what we've become. Friends.

"I'm asking as a friend."

She remained facing away from me for another heartbeat and then finally turned around. "I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but our community is divided. Half are still claiming you as the rightful High Priestess. But not everyone agrees anymore."

"I know that."

I was fully aware of what affect Darlene's claim had on our people. After all, it would be stupid of me to assume that everyone would still continue to blindly support me.

"But while most are unsure about either of you, some are outwardly cheering for Darlene to be named as the High Priestess... They blame you for abandoning us five years ago and... They're calling you a coward... But a lot..."

"A lot?"

"A lot of them don't think that the Alpha King is an appropriate companion for the High Priestess. Not after one of their kind killed your mother."

My hand flew to the mark on the base of my neck. I might still be angry with Theo, but deep down I knew that sooner or later I would have allowed him to mark me. I wasn't sure when, but somewhere along the way, I fell for the thick-headed ruler of the werewolves.

At the same time, I knew I had only myself to blame. I was the reason why everyone still thought that a werewolf had killed my mother.

"Why did you?" Kasey's voice brought me to the present moment. "Leave, I mean. Five years ago."

It was on the tip of my tongue to tell her the truth about my mother's death. But I stopped myself. Until I had certain proof that Darlene was involved in the murder, I couldn't start spreading rumors. Especially not to her own sister.

"Someday. Someday I'll tell you." With those words I began making my way back to the house.

My thoughts were still revolved around Darlene when suddenly a possibility struck me. What if it was all connected? What if the reason why Darlene had involved herself in the brutal murder of my mother, was because she had already known that she was the rightful High Priestess? But did this mean that my mother also knew the truth? Was perhaps her inability to part with the position the reason she was now dead?

The more I thought about it, the more sense it made. All this time I had thought that those involved in the murder had simply wanted our world tilted off-balance. Or maybe they had a personal grudge against my mother. But what if...

What if my mother had been killed because of her inability to step down from the position she had been groomed for her entire life?

The line of thinking led me to wonder if somewhere along the way perhaps the same fate awaited me. Despite my reluctance to return, deep down I had always known that one day I would become the High Priestess. And now that the position was mine, I couldn't help but wonder if I would be able to let it go. Even if Darlene proved to be the rightful High Priestess.