24.

The Supreme Sorceress felt that powerful wave of magic before she witnessed its effects. She was in her study surrounded by vials of coloured ingredients and books of tongues that were long forgotten. She was peering at her cauldron, in the midst of summoning the spirits. It took a lot to break her concentration. 

And the magic that pulsated through her study was more than that. 

She was thrown off her feet when it hit her. She felt sick and giddy. She thought it was because she was overexerting herself but when she heard the vials and windows rattle and saw the books fall from the shelves, she knew it wasn't her. 

Amara.

Drawing herself together, she rushed out of her room. She saw the terrified looks on the warriors' faces. 'Do not worry!' She ordered them. They hid their fear from her but she could still see it in their eyes. She rushed toward Amara's room. Phoebe knew she had to contain Amara's powers otherwise the castle would collapse and crush them. She could see the tall glass windows shivering, she could hear maids and manservants screaming as the cupboards, tables and chairs fell over. She could feel the white marble floor vibrating. 

'Phoebe!' She heard her husband's voice. She didn't stop. If she didn't contain Amara's powers, her children would die. 

'Mama!' 

She froze in her tracks. She turned to see Ezhil, Rosalyn and Wendalyn with her husband at the other end of the hallway. The girls were trembling with fear as they stared at the glass chandeliers that swung from the ceiling like a pendulum. Ezhil was trying to stay calm but Phoebe knew it was a facade. 

Her husband's look of concern wasn't unnoticed by her either. 

'It's Amara!' She yelled, 'Evacuate the castle! I'll contain her!' 

She didn't stop to hear his reply. Her heart broke as she turned her back on her family. Tears blurred her vision but she didn't let them fall. She had no time to think about anything. She needed to save them. 

She ran through the castle, ordering them to evacuate the castle. 

The corridor leading to Amara's room was empty and eerily quiet. Everything had stopped shaking. She wondered if this was the calm before the storm. She saw the bodies of some warriors on the floor surrounded by blood. They were breathing thankfully. Phoebe had to make a choice. She could either help them or stop Amara. Phoebe chose the latter. 

Her heart thumped against her chest as she neared Amara's door. 

She sensed no movement inside. 

She was ready to reach for the knob when someone grabbed her hand and pulled her away from the door. 

She couldn't scream so she glared at him. Lord Tyhane stood next to her,  returning her fierce look. 'This is suicidal. Prince Damien is inside,' he whispered. His eyes were trained on Amara's door. 

'Where are our children?' she hissed at him, outraged that he had abandoned them because of her. He rolled his eyes, 'The King and Queen are with them.' 

Phoebe was glad. The children would be the safest surrounded by an army of soldiers. She turned to the door and reached for it when he spoke again, 'Don't be stupid. The last time Prince Damien responded to Amara's stress.' 

She couldn't glare at him. She felt stupid. Of course, the Prince would've transformed into a beast. 'We'll go together.' 

'I've always got your back, love,' he kissed her cheeks and drew his sword. She smiled but it came and went like a gust of wind. 

The castle shivered again. 

Phoebe used her magic to open the door. 

The room was a wreck. 

The Prince was hunched over an unconscious Amara. The beast had taken over. He warned them with a nasty snarl. 

Tyhane was about to go inside when Phoebe stopped him by placing her hand on his arm. She shook her head and whispered, 'He's trying to calm her down.' 

The Second-In-Command furrowed his brows in confusion. He studied the Prince's beastly form. 

His wife was right. He lowered his weapon but did not put it away. 

Prince Damien was sitting on the bed with Amara's head on his chest. One hand on her tresses and the other on her arm. He was gently combing her hair whispering something in her ear. His clothes were tattered and clawed through. Drops of blood trickled down his nose but the beast just wiped it off not letting it fall on his beloved. 

The Supreme Sorceress and her husband watched amazed by the sight that unfolded in front of them. 

They had always thought the Prince's beastly form was capable only of destruction and death. They had never seen this side of the beast ever before. They watched carefully as the beast gently brushed Amara's face, careful not to cut her with his long nails. They didn't move and the didn't beast attack them. 

'He doesn't see us as a threat anymore,' Tyhane smiled. 

'Take a step closer and he will shred us,' Phoebe commented but didn't stop her lips from curving upwards. 

He chuckled. 

The beast looked at them and growled again. 

They stiffened expecting an attack but a movement caught their attention. It was Amara. She was trying to get up. The beast offered no resistance to her will but he did not help her. He slithered away from her, keeping away from her line of sight. 

They married couple could only watch as the Prince's beastly form leapt into the shadows behind the cupboard. 

'Wh-at happened?' Amara croaked as observed the room. The room was so messy. It appeared as if it had been taken by a storm. She looked at the couple expecting an answer. 

Tyhane raised a brow at his wife who understood his signal and took the lead. She cautiously walked toward Amara, trying not to step on anything. Through her peripheral vision, she kept an eye on the Prince. She didn't want to make any move that would aggravate him. 

She reached for Amara's hand as she sat next to her. She was nervous. Tyhane gave her an encouraging look. She swallowed. She had to tread carefully, 'What do you remember?'