VIII.

Sunday, 1 March 2020

Venus had always thought that the biggest changes were those you didn't pay immediate notice to

Venus had always thought that the biggest changes were those you didn't pay immediate notice to. Like the changing of the seasons, aging on your birthday, when the clock struck 12 and a new day began. Changes that were caused by time; that could not be prevented. Loads of changes couldn't be prevented, but it was impossible to escape time. Manmade to make life simpler to live, and yet it's what kills us in the end. However, Venus had come to learn that some changes – the biggest and worst of them all – pained you so much, they didn't fully leave your body. Like a volcanic eruption, they'd come every now and again, but would leave you scorched and burning for days. She chose not to think about those changes.

But it was hard when she was out shopping with her younger sister and said younger sister would not stop bloody chattering. The first day of spring had brought nothing but clouds and the occasional fall of some rain. Venus wasn't impressed. Wasn't a new season supposed to bring something else? So far it just felt like any other winter day in south England.

"Venus?"

"Yeah?"

Looking up at Portia, it was painfully obvious Venus hadn't been paying attention to anything her sister had been saying.

Portia raised her eyebrows. "Are you taking the mick right now?"

"What?!"

"You're not even listening to what I've been saying." Portia scanned her Oyster card and walked on into Haggerston station, leaving Venus sighing behind her. Venus scanned her own card and followed, knowing that her sister would not stop being annoying unless she asked what she'd been talking about. The second she began talking again, she'd forget Venus wasn't listening to begin with.

The two were on their way to Victoria Station, Portia was going back home after having stayed with Venus in her shared flat in Hackney for two weeks, having had some modelling jobs to attend to. And now that she was done, she would be going home to their mother and staying there for a week until she had to come back down to London for some more jobs. Venus was getting rather sick of her little sister staying with her when she could easily find her own flat, but she figured she'd bring that conversation up another time. A time when she hadn't pissed her sister off already that day.

"Tia," Venus said as they reached the Southbound platform, the windy remnants of the storm that had just been making it freezing to be taking the Overground and wait outside for the next tube to arrive. "What were you saying?"

"Do you even care?"

"Yes."

"I don't believe you."

Venus rolled her eyes. "Fine."

"This bloke I've been going on dates with while I've been here, right," Portia started crossing her arms over her chest as the tube started approaching, knowing that a gust of wind would accompany it. "He's got this friend that's been eyeing me up the two times I've met him. He's fit and everything, but I'm seeing Azeem, you know."