If I Could

A/N: Shouto is in the doghouse and Katsuki needs closure.

"And when you're done scrubbing these floors, I want a bubble bath."

"Yes, darling."

"With candles."

"Absolutely. Would you like some music as well?"

"Is that fuckin' snark I hear?"

Shouto's eyes widen and with a flurried shake of his head, he's back at drying the floors with the towel in his hands. "No, it isn't. I apologize if it sounded that way; I just wanted to be helpful is all." He explains, cringing when he realizes that it still sounds like he's being sarcastic.

It's always been so disheartening for him whenever he has to try and explain to people that he's not being an asshole and that it's just his annoyingly monotonous voice. He doesn't do it on purpose and he's spent years trying to break such a headache habit but it's a tough one to kill.

He's grateful that Katsuki chooses not to punish him for it either way, though he doesn't quite feel as though he's worthy of his lover's mercy. After what he's done, how could Katsuki be letting him off the hook with something as simple as making him clean the house from top to bottom?

The blonde shrugs.  

"Music sounds nice, actually."

Shouto hurries along with an obedient nod, quickly finishing the last of the floor as not to keep Katsuki waiting for his bath. He can't help but find Katsuki's demeanor to be eerily calm in comparison to when he'd last seen him.

In fact, getting to this point had been a lot less difficult than Shouto was initially prepared for.

He remembers how unbearably distraught he'd been upon coming home, expecting to be met with more festering silence as he'd be left to wallow in his own thoughts. He was prepared to sleep another night alone. Prepared to go another night without his Katsuki.

He remembers how absolutely terrified he'd been to see Katsuki sitting in their bedroom in the dark.

"Sit down, Shouto. We need to talk."

And Shouto did. He sat right there on the floor, eyes glued to the floor as he was much too afraid of what he might see if he were to raise his head and look Katsuki in the eyes.

To see how much Katsuki would hate him now.

Shouto was well aware of just how severely he'd managed to fuck up their relationship—well aware of the fact that there was a certain amount of trust between them that would never be recovered again. There would never be a way to change that. No amount of apologizing would suffice. No expensive gift or grand gestures would be able to buy him back.

Regardless of what happens going forward, nothing will ever change that Shouto was unfaithful to the love of his life.

If he could go back and change things, he'd do it in a heartbeat. But he can't. And if he's honest with himself, if the shoe had been on the other foot then he can almost guarantee that he wouldn't have been as generous as Katsuki was to him. He wouldn't have known what to do with himself if Katsuki was the one to cheat on him.

And yet Shouto has the nerve to grovel and send someone to fix his mess. As if he deserves such generosity. He wouldn't have been surprised if Katsuki had decided to leave him.

But instead, he'd told Shouto that he couldn't live without him. That he'd give him one last chance to redeem his sorry ass.

And Shouto dropped to his knees to thank him and literally kiss his feet.