forty three

•••

•••

As Steve removed his arms from around her, she saw Tony sat down against a rock with Peter knelt beside him. She felt tears well in her eyes as she watched the man who had helped raise her children, the man she called one of her best friends, the man who had a wife and child of his own, slowly die.

"Ellie..." Tony muttered as she ran over to him and knelt down beside him, she knew where he was going. She knew he felt guilty as she knew he blamed himself for the snap and she knew he felt guilty about Natasha, even though neither of those incidents were his fault.

"It's okay." She replied weakly trying to hold back her tears as she placed a gentle kiss on his cheek, "I'll look after them. Tell Natasha I love her and look after each other."

"I'm sorry, Tony." Peter sobbed as Ellie pulled him away gently and into a hug, allowing Pepper to kneel down next to her husband. Ellie felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Steve, Ellie gave him a watery smile as she saw a tear fall down his face. She didn't want him to leave, she'd already lost one of her best friends this week and she couldn't bear to lose another, but she was going to, and that broke her heart.

As the earths greatest defended took his last breath and the light of his arc-reactor turned off, Pepper collapsed into a fit of sobs over her husbands body. Ellie turned Peter around and muttered to him, "C'mon, love, you don't want to watch this." Truthfully, neither did she. Peter nodded slightly, wiping his eyes as he followed Ellie, her arm still wrapped tightly around him.

"So, 5 years huh?" Peter muttered sadly.

Ellie laughed slightly, "He missed you, I did too." She told him. "He tells my kids that you're his favourite superhero, always telling them story's about you."

"Kids?" He asked, with a small smile. "As in plural?"

"Natalia. She was born around 8 months after everyone disappeared." She pulled a small picture out that was tucked safely in her pocket.

"That's a beautiful name." Peter smiled fondly at the picture.

"Thanks." She replied lightly.

"Barnes, she's his right?" Peter remembered.

"They're his kids, although he's never met one of them." Ellie answered slightly sadly, looking around the battlefield as the two of them sat on some rubble.

"He disappeared?"

"I haven't seen him yet." She told him fiddling with the necklace around her neck that had his wedding ring on it. The two of them sat in a comfortable silence for a moment before it was interrupted.

"Ellie?"

"Found him." Peter smiled slightly, she looked up to see her husband standing around 5 metres away from her. Tears immediately clouded her eyes as she saw the man that she hadn't seen for 5 heard. The man she loved so dearly. The man she shared her children with. The love of her life, stood in front of her once again.