25.

That question triggered painful memories. It came back to Amara. 

The demon attack. 

She was reliving that. 

Phoebe's hand no longer provided her comfort. It felt foreign. She recollected everything. A cold blade ran down her spine when she thought about the old man who was with her when all of those horrible things happened. 

'Rowan!' She screamed, 'What happened to him?' 

She felt her breath slipping out of her control. She was spiralling. 

'Amara!' Phoebe's voice was trembling. It sounded like a cry for help. 

Amara looked at the sorceress. She saw a claw flying toward Phoebe. She recognized the torn sleeve. It was the Prince. Her heart raced as she pushed the sorceress away, 'No!' Her voice felt strange to her ears. She fell off the bed while trying to save Phoebe. 

Pain erupted on her side. She felt her insides churn as the demon attack replayed itself over and over again in front of her eyes. She found herself choking on her own tears. It felt as if misery and pain were looped around her neck like a rope as pain tugged it high up above the ground. She felt cold like she was no longer living.

She wanted to cry but it seemed like there were no more tears to cry. 

She saw a pair of legs in front of her. The Prince's beast crossed his legs and sat next to her. His face was sharper. The smooth planes of his face added to his dangerous persona. His lower lip was crusted with blood. There were no shadows over his face yet he seemed mysterious and so alluring... And then there were his eyes. His beautiful blue eyes that pierced her wounded mind. He didn't look any different from the last time she had seen him. He looked dangerous as ever, but those eyes... those eyes, they reflected otherwise. 

They always stood out. They always looked different from the fierce front that the beast put on. 

They reflected what she felt. 

Pain and confusion. 

Tears flooded her eyes. She covered her mouth with her hand to stop herself from screaming. She sobbed violently. She shook her head as she moved closer to the beast. Unable to look him in the eye, she placed her temple on his shoulder and wept. She felt the beast stiffen at her sudden actions but she could muster no strength to move away from him. 

A moment after, she felt warm a hand stroke her cheek. She felt the sharp nails scrape against her skin but she wasn't scared. It comforted her. She felt his other hand brush her hair, smoothening the tangles in her hair. He rocked back and forth gently and she shut her eyes. She felt like a baby in a cradle. She drew her legs closer to her and rested her head on his chest. His arms were wrapped tight around her. She felt like he was holding her together. 

His chest reverberated the soft thumping of his heart. 

She placed her hand on his feeling the warmth. He didn't move his hand away. 

Her heart blossomed at that and for a moment it dulled her pain. 

'Rowan is fine, Amara,' she heard Phoebe speak. 

Amara opened her eyes to see Phoebe and Tyhane standing at the door, arm in arm. 

Tyhane gave her a small smile, 'You saved him.' 

Amara couldn't register what they had said. 'What?' she was barely audible but all of them heard her. 

'Take rest, Amara,' Phobe gave a warm smile that made Amara wonder why the sorceress was being so nice to her. She was in the Prince's arms, holding him like he was her lover. They should be outraged. 

But they weren't. 

She opened her mouth to speak but a soft growl made her forget whatever she wanted to say. She felt the Prince's chin rest on the top of her head as he pulled her closer. 

She found herself basking in his warmth. She let the exhaustion take over her. 

And soon she was fast asleep, snoring softly like a baby.