Chapter 29

Calvin's POV

I was finally beating Miles' father when my world came crumbling down.

I feel a piercing pain in my back, and know that it isn't mine. Miles.

Miles' father and I both stop to see what happened. Miles is hugging his mother with a knife sticking out of his back.

He pulls away from her and I hear his broken question, "Why?"

Her response is cold, "Because you became a monster."

Miles crumpled to the ground and my world goes with it. I let out a loud, pain filled howl that my pack returns. I'm crying for my mate, for the one I love.

Regaining my senses, I quickly snap Miles' father's neck, him being distracted.

Miles' mother sees this and cries out, "No! How could you!"

I don't even focus on her, I just am focusing on Miles. His pain and his fear. I can feel it through the bond. He thinks he's going to die. Not on my watch.

My eyes briefly slide over to his mothers, and I see an unrepairable pain hidden inside. She lifts a pistol to her head and shoots. And like that, it is over.

All the rogues are dead. The hunters have all been killed or fled.

Now my main focus is Miles, my mate.

I shift back into my human form and grab my mates limp body. He looks to be going in and out of consciousness, his eyes fluttering open and closed every few seconds.

I cradle Miles into my chest, as I practically sprint my way to the pack doctor. I mindlink Doctor Ray, telling him to have a room prepared for my mate.

"My little rabbit, you are going to be okay. You said you would never leave me, so I know you won't. I believe in you," I whisper down at him, him faintly hearing my words.

He looks into my eyes with hooded eyelids, and speaks, "You... are right. I'm never leaving you. I'll always be in... here." He points to my chest, where my heart resides.

"Stop talking like you are going to die. I won't let you," I state, sure that he can be saved. As long as they didn't hit anything major, surely he'll be okay.

"Remember, I love you, wolfie," he slurs as he closes his eyes and they don't reopen.

I go even faster to the pack hospital, and soon arrive. Doctor Ray ushers me to a room and I lay Miles on his stomach.

Doctor Ray kicks me out, not letting me stay by my mate while he is hurt. I understand but it doesn't make me any less mad.

I stand right outside the door, listening for any sign of life other than Doctor Ray. I don't hear any.

Soon I hear a loud gasp and cry of pain. I'm guessing Miles can breathe again and he got the knife taken out. I hear a loud grunt come from my mate, probably Doctor Ray putting pressure on the wound. I hear my mates breath even back out, meaning he is unconscious yet again.

Doctor Ray soon comes out with news. "The blade was coated in wolfsbane, and was made of silver. This means that it did some damage, and the wolfsbane entered his blood stream. He needs a transfusion, but once the wolfsbane leaves his body, he'll be okay."

I let out a breath of relief. He will be okay.

Over the time that Miles is healing, everyone comes and visits. First Jason with Jessica. Jason says words of encouragement and Jessica apologizes for everything she's done wrong. She's just glad that she has his forgiveness.

Amber, Tiffany, and Layla all come in together, and try to keep conversation lighthearted. They laugh at inside jokes and try to comfort Miles in any way they can.

When they leave, Kevin and Layton come in. Kevin is much more serious this time around, which is very unlike him. He urges Miles to stay strong, and to not give up on life.

Layton grunts in approval before speaking, "Miles, I haven't gotten to know you well, but I hope I will. You are perfect for Calvin and have been everything he's needed. Thank you for being there for the pack, we all appreciate it."

With that, they stand up and leave. I sit there, stunned. I've never heard Layton speak that much in my entire life.

It's my turn and as I sit there with my hand in his, I break down, not being able to handle it anymore. "Please don't leave me, Miles. I need you. You have saved me from a life not worth living. Please. I love you."

I choke back sobs as I cry into his chest, wanting to be as close as I can to him.

This better not be goodbye.