Chapter 5

Bethany's POV

Sometimes, you have to put a smile on your face and push away everything your feeling at the moment. Right now, was one of those moments. This time was about the children in Africa, the ones who had real problems. They were fighting for their lives- I was just fighting for my heart. They deserved it more, and any person who even had a heart would understand that.

So that's what I did. I put a smile on my face, walked back into the ballroom and took a seat at my table between Harry and Chace. Chace's face was pale when he saw who I came back to the table with. I offered him a small smile, trying to assure him that there was nothing wrong. The only thing, there really was.

Sure, I had to ask him about it, but there was something deep down telling me that Harry was right. There was this feeling that felt like if one more thing stepped out of line, the entire world would come down on me. I could barely manage the amount of crap going on as it was, but now having to worry about if my supposed love of my life is cheating on me, makes me really anxious.

The night went slow. Every now and then we'd exchange a few words. Sometimes he'd start the conversation, sometimes I would. It all just kinda of seemed awkward. We never gave each other more than two or three word answers. There was this tension there that felt like I was being stabbed everytime one of us opened our mouths.

The entire fundraiser was a success really. Over 5 million dollars was raised thanks to the people in the room. They were all rich bastards that needed it as a tax deduction anyways, so obviously they didn't mind. They got their reward when in reality, they were the ones who really didn't deserve it.

I had said goodbye to Harry. He was the only one of the One Direction boys that I had really gotten to have a conversation with. Sure, it was about the accusation of my boyfriend cheating on me, but it was a conversation none the less.

He gave me this look- it was as if he was worried about my sanity. He had pulled me in for a surprisingly nice hug, politely kissing my cheek before setting his hands on my shoulders and looking me in the eyes. They were staring into mine, telling me to call him if I needed anything. I nodded, knowing I was answering his silent invitation.

But boy, was I praying that I wouldn't need it.

The limo ride was quiet and very uncomfortable. We didn't look at each other once. He stared at his phone the entire way home while I looked straight ahead. We were planning on going to some after party, but both of us knew we shouldn't. We knew there was a big issue at hand. We were both nervous... It was obvious. He was guilty of something- whether it be what Harry told me or not, he was hiding something.

He tipped the cab driver as we got to my penthouse. For some reason, he had chosen to go back to mine. I was uncomfortable with it, knowing I was probably going to end up kicking him out. He probably knew it too which is why he chose to come here- so I wouldn't have to get a cab home or something.

We had gotten into my penthouse after a few minutes of silence on the elevator and passing through the lobby. He held the door for me, walked a few paces away from me. He wasn't going to bother me. He knew he fucked up... I just needed to make sure what he did was that horrible.

I took a seat on the couch, taking my shoes off. He was watching me. His eyes were like daggers, pretty much digging a deeper hole into my heart. Everything in the room was spinning from the anxiety I was having. Conversations like this were probably the worst thing on the planet. They were hard, not natural really. They were unneccessary in my opinion- but when it mattered, I guess they needed to happen.

"Oh Bethany." He hummed as he speed walked towards me. His hands were craddling my head as his thumbs wiped the unknown tears I had let fallen. I swallowed hard, trying to get rid of the lump in my throat.