Chapter Nine: Solo Sigue Respirando

Why? Why did you kiss me, then tell me to stay away from you? Was that all an act for Stephanie so she could get mad? Or do you really not have feelings for me? There was only one way to find out the truth.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Marnie questioned.

"Would this not be weird, you know?" I asked. "Considering..."

Marnie scoffed. "Eww. You just made it sound weird. I was going to introduce you as Mia's boyfriend anyway, you damn perv."

Even so, a man my age walking into a large event with a girl that is clearly underage, it won't look good. Marnie looked at me. "Well, Joey, we're here."

The smell of food grilling attacked my nose. I've never been to a cookout, or a family reunion. Candace and Beck were never close with their family. Marnie's plan was for me to learn about Mia the old fashioned way. How she didn't kill me after finding out that I was stalking her, while also ending her so called relationship, I don't know. I thought it would've been the end right there. But somehow, I survived, for this Marrow reunion.

"Are you sure this is okay? You don't think this is weird?" I questioned.

"What do you mean?" Marnie asked. "Joe, even if I was legal, you're far from my type. Trust me." She opened the door to the house, and we entered.

Family, I always wanted to have one. Perhaps have a child, a few grandchildren. That would be nice.

~
Mia's Point Of View

"I have nothing to say to her." I told Marnie.

"I never said you had to talk to her. In fact, I thought I told you to block the bitch, since clearly you're too much of a softie to confront and beat her ass." My sister explained.

I rolled my eyes. "How's the reunion going?"

Marnie paused before replying. "Umm, it's going fine."

"Why does that sound like bullshit?" I questioned. "Is it mom? How is she doing anyway?"

"She's being her." Marnie answered. "As usual."

My front door opened. "Hello beautiful." Cami greeted.

I raised an eyebrow. "Why are you here?".

"I'm here to cheer you up. Now I know you don't like ice cream. But it won't hurt to try mint chocolate chip. That's the number one solution to getting over a breakup, or in this case, getting over a backstabbing bitch." Camille explained.

"No, no. I thought you were with Marnie at the family reunion." I replied.

"No. She told me Joe was taking her." Cami said.

I looked at my phone, I was still on call with my baby sister. I scoffed and smirked. "Marnie, I'm coming down there, and I'm going to kill both of you!" I yelled, hanging up the phone.

Camille looked at me. "Did I start this?" She asked. I shook my head, grabbed my keys, and left.

~

Joe's Point Of View

Your family was a piece of work, Mia. Especially your mother. But I will admit, she gave me very useful information. About you, about your father. May your father rest in peace. And may I, now that you're on your way here, about to kill me.

Marnie turned off her phone. "I'm really sorry, about her."

Your mom sighed. "That's my Mia, stubborn. At least she doesn't have to worry about that Brandon anymore. You know, her father never liked him."

Smart man.

"Mommy, nobody liked him." Marnie added. "Except for those greedy a-holes that won't be named in this family. He had coins, I'm not going to lie."

Almost on cue, I heard a car pull up into the driveway. It could be anyone, but the sound of Adele playing in front of the house, it couldn't be anyone else.

You speed walked into the backyard. "Mia, it's a pleasure to finally see you after two and a half years." Your mom said, with a obvious hint of sarcasm and bitchiness.

"Marnie, get in the car now." You ordered, and your sister listened. After all, you're an adult, and clearly the only parental figure in her life.

"Mia. I'm sor-"

The palm of your hand went across my face at blinding speed. And it burned. Badly. "Who the fuck do you think you are, taking my sister, to my family reunion? What did you think you were going to find here? Answers to your questions about my life?"

"Well, if you let me explain-".

"Go to hell. And stay away from my sister." You walked away. You hate me now. You want nothing to do with me. I just ruined my last chance.

Fuck.

"I apologize for my daughter's attitude. She got it from me no doubt. Her and her sister." Your mom explained.

"I just thought this would be a good idea. I wanted to get to know her through her family you know." I replied.

"Joe, there is a reason why she is like this towards men. She was like this when she met Brandon too. But if I find out that you talked to her about this, I will find you and kill you."

You and your whole family, always ready to kill someone. I raised an eyebrow. "I'm listening."

~

"What's up neighbor?" Stephanie asked with a smirk.

I grabbed the key to my apartment. Just ignore her, maybe then she'll get the hint. "I said "what's up"." She repeated.

Just unlock it, Joe, ignore.

I hear heels hitting the floor and approaching me. "Hey, are ya deaf? I'm talking to you!"

I turned around. What could she possibly want?

Stephanie was inches away from my face, trying to read me. She smirked. "Let me guess, something happened between you and the princess. She humped and dumped you, is that it?"

In rage, I grabbed her jacket. She doesn't have the right to talk about you like that. Nobody has the right to talk about you like that. But ... she wasn't scared of me. Was this wrong?

Fuck it.

~

Your screams were terribly loud.

I never been in here when Claudia and Paco were living here, but I knew for a fact that this apartment was way bigger than mine. Lucky. Stephanie's walls were red, she must have gotten them painted when she moved them here, she certainly didn't do them herself.

I took the pillow case off of the pillow and stuffed it in my pocket.

The least I could do was cover your naked body with a blanket, before I left the crime scene.

I just did it again.

But I did it for love. For you, Mia.

She should've kept her mouth shut.