Hill (3)

It was a beautiful sunset, but Aki could not find it in him to fully appreciate its beauty. He glanced to the side and saw Liam teaching Nancy how to shoot with his camera. Aki's eyebrow twitched.

"They seem close," Zy noted.

"That's his ex." The words came out full of venom than what he intended.

Zy scratched his cheek. "You didn't have to sound so bitter..."

Aki huffed. If his eyes could only spew fire, the area around Nancy would be full of it. In a small voice, he spoke, "Honestly? I'm--I'm in love with Liam...I think."

Zy's eyes widened and gaped at Aki. "I never thought that you're interested in things like this." When Aki raised an eyebrow, Zy added, "Like dating, romance..."

"And I never thought you'd be this dense." Aki rolled his eyes, which surprised his friend even more.

Zy blinked at Aki as if he was seeing his friend for the first time. When he was able to compose himself, he whispered, "Does he like you back? Are you two an item?"

Aki shook his head. "I don't want to get my hopes up, though."

Zy stared at Aki for a while, then he gasped. "Oh!"

Aki gave him a questioning gaze, but Zy looked even more horrified.

"Oh! Oh no...I'm so sorry. I think I owe Liam an apology too." He hung his head again. "Turns out, Drew was right. I never look around me. I never considered other people's feelings."

Aki chuckled, feeling as if his stopper came loose, and everything inside him came pouring out. "You can be such an insensitive prick most of the time. You didn't even know that I used to love you."

The shock on Zy's face looked so hilarious that Aki could not stop himself from laughing until his insides hurt. Oh, the joy. Saying what he never dared to say before was freeing.

"You never would have guessed right?" Aki grinned. It was so so easy to admit now. Was it because he was feeling so down that he just wanted to unload everything out in the open?

He stopped laughing as his eyes found their way back to Liam, who was still busy taking pictures and then reviewing them. If only he could be this uninhibited all the time...

Zy brushed a hand over his face a couple of times and then turned his still shocked face at Aki. He opened and closed his mouth, trying to form words. "I'm--oh no. I'm--"

Aki waved him off and deliberately rolled his eyes to tease his friend. "Don't be such a drama queen. And don't let this get to your head because I don't love you now."

"Right," Zy nodded. "Still, I'm surprised! I never knew... But ugh, what have I done?"

"It's all in the past," Aki said as he patted his friend's shoulder. This earned him a smile from the other guy.

"They're still so engrossed over there," Zy jerked his chin towards the other side.

Aki turned, and for a second, he met Liam's eyes. It felt like it had been ages since the last time they looked, much less talked with each other.

Liam looked away and gathered his things. "It's getting late. We should head back."

Happiness flashed through Aki as he followed Liam. But it did not last long when he noticed Nancy following them behind.

"Do you mind if I take my things back at the house first, before I join you for dinner?"

"Sure," Liam said and Nancy took off straight away.

She disappeared to one of the houses around the hill so the three of them waited on the side of the road.

"Dinner?" Aki asked Liam.

Liam shrugged. "Granny asked me to tell her to join us for dinner."

"Oh."

Nancy came back, jogging right beside Liam. Aki and Zy walked behind them. Aki glared at her back. She had been hogging Liam's attention almost the entire day when his roommate had almost never spared him a single glance. Except for that one moment at the hill. Aki clicked his tongue in irritation.

"Jealous?" Zy murmured beside him.

Aki glared at his friend. But Zy only snickered.