Beach (2)

Liam wanted to wipe that grin off Jared's face for mentioning that name. Nancy again. Hearing that name lowered his mood once more. Ever since they arrived, she was everywhere he looked. She would not even let him alone, always clinging, always craving attention.

And he knew the game she was playing.

Chris seemed to know it too. His expression turned serious in an instant. "Hey, when did you guys change it?"

"When you weren't looking," John answered as he walked back from the kitchen. "The girls are pushing it. Love is sweeter the second time around they said."

"I bet it's just Nancy's cronies saying that. But, seriously, stop it. It's not funny," Chris said.

Liam was thankful to have this guy on his side. There were too many people who knew about his childhood crush on her, but only a handful of people knew what really happened between them. With the two of them both single, most of their batchmates thought that there would be a second time. And Nancy flaunting their "closeness" recently was not helping.

"Karen was on full-blown rage mode in the chat. I can practically imagine her on fire as she typed her replies," Jared said. They all laughed out loud at that.

Chris laughed too, but there was a fondness in his eyes. Damn, his friend was so in love. "She was a lot scarier in real life. I was with her when she replied to the chat, and she was fuming."

That earned another round of laughter as the other two joined them having brought out the rest of the breakfast.

"Where's Karen, by the way? Is she coming?" Liam finished his gardening and joined the rest in the veranda.

"Still got some papers to do. And she doesn't want to see Nancy's face." Chris shrugged and took a bite from his toast, glancing meaningfully at Liam, "She was surprised to know that you came."

"I didn't come for her. It just so happens that the reunion takes place while I'm on vacation here."

The door opened, and they all turned towards it. A very exhausted-looking yet still very adorable Aki came out, squinting at them.

'Ah.'

Aki must have been woken up by the noise they made. Liam discovered that Aki liked silence, especially in the morning. His roommate was like a machine that needed some warm-up before he got started.

Aki stifled a yawn as he eyed the people in front of him. He looked like someone ready to crush anyone who dared cross his path.

Behind him, Zy came stumbling out too.

"Aki! Nice to see you here!" Chris said, then he smirked. "Did we disturb your sleep? Sorry."

Liam kicked his friend under the table. He knew that Chris did not mean his apology, but teasing Aki in this state would not do any good.

Aki just huffed at Chris and offered a small smile at Granny. He gave a tentative smile to the group as well, his eyes lingering a little on Liam.

Ah. How Liam missed Aki.

Chris grinned at Liam before he spoke to Aki, "Look, we changed our "reunion" to the beach this morning. You should come too with your friend."

"But it's your reunion, though?" Aki asked, skeptically.

Jared shrugged. "It's not really a formal gathering. Anyone's welcome. Besides, you really should come to see our beach."