Beach (3)

Aki was not in the mood to put on a pleasant face and mingle with strangers. If Liam's ex was there, all the more reason for him not to go. He glanced at Zy, and to his friend's credit, Zy looked hesitant.

But Chris and the others showered their country with compliments that Aki thought it would be a waste to miss them. Besides, there might be a chance to be alone with Liam. He perked up at the thought.

After breakfast, they all set out for this reunion. As the group walked towards the beach, everyone formed a small group in twos and threes, all busy talking among themselves. Zy had no problem striking up a conversation with Jared, and the two looked like they had been best friends forever. That left Aki on his own, which was what he was aiming for. He hoped to have a moment with Liam, so he tried to hang back at the end of the line.

Aki met Liam's eyes a couple of times, and he hoped his roommate would understand his intention. He wanted to have a conversation with Liam. Even a small talk would do. Or any interaction for that matter as long as it would somehow ease the mood between them.

But every time Liam tried to change his pace to match Aki's, one of his friends would spring up a topic and veer Liam away from Aki.

They arrived at the beach without saying a single word to each other. Aki felt comforted knowing that Liam wanted to talk to him too. That was already a good sign.

Liam's batchmates were already at the beach and had started setting up. Aki did a quick headcount, and there were about fifteen more people. They called this a mini-reunion, but for Aki, this was already something big.

As subtle as he could, Aki scanned the faces once more and breathed out a sigh of relief when he did not see Nancy among them.

After the introductions, everyone was free to pick an activity they liked. Some played mixed beach volleyball. Others went swimming. With Jared's urging, Zy joined them as well. Leave it to him to make friends a few seconds after coming to a social gathering.

Aki decided to make himself useful and helped pass out snacks and drinks. He did not want anyone thinking that Liam brought a freeloading guest.

"Why are you so busy?" Chris's voice came from behind Aki. He had been swimming and playing games out there in the sea. "You're our guest. You should be having fun. Come on, let's go for a swim. Or wait, do you swim?"

Aki contemplated whether he should lie or not. But he realized that his pause made Chris suspicious and saw through Aki's ruse right away.

He shrugged, "Alright." There was no harm in joining them, and maybe, moving his body would clear his mind.

"Good thing you know. Liam would grill me if something happens to you."

Zy grinned at him when he saw Aki before someone dumped water on him. Zy retaliated, and the whole thing turned into a game.

Aki shook his head and chuckled. He joined a few games and raced with the guys. When he felt like he had already done everything he could that would satisfy Chris, he went back to the shore.

"Here," Liam saw Aki and passed the towel he was holding. "I was on the way, uh, somewhere."

Aki thanked his roommate when he saw the embroidered year on the towel. "Is this customized?"

"Yep. A souvenir the organizers made for us. The organizers namely Chris, Jared — you met him this morning, and some of the girls, I forgot who. Our batch loved to hang out here, so they thought it would be useful. Well, it does when they changed the setting here." Liam finally breathed after speaking in one go and picked up something from the cooler. "Anyway, here's your drink and — some toast."

Aki blinked, staring dumbly at Liam. His mind was still stuck at the realization that Liam was rambling out of nervousness and how Aki found it so endearing. When he looked at his hands and found food, he bit his lip to stop himself from smiling like an idiot. Of course, food. Liam's life mission was to feed Aki. He glanced back up at Liam who only shrugged.

"I took some from Granny's table before we left. I thought you'd like them more than the snacks they brought. I'm not saying the food here isn't good! But--" Liam wrung his hands as he tried hard to explain.

Aki chewed his lower lip harder, trying so hard to suppress his smile. Part of him wanted to be a decent human being and just say his thanks. But another part of him, a really big part, wanted to throw common sense away and give Liam a bear hug, wrapping his arms tightly around the other guy and never let go.

"You're laughing at me." Liam pretended to be offended, but the corners of his mouth were curving upwards.

Aki widened his eyes at being caught and shook his head, all the while keeping his expression neutral, "I'm not! Of course, this is better. Like how your recipes are always delicious."

Liam chuckled, and Aki joined him. Their eyes met as Liam's expression turned serious. "Aki—"

"Oh good, Liam, you're here," Nancy called out from behind them.