+9+

For the first time in my entire life, I dreaded going to school the following day.

    I didn't know what exactly I was afraid of- there were too many to pick just one. The fear that Frank perhaps knew something about me that I didn't want others to know loomed over me, and I never looked back as I walked away from him to see if he was angry. For all I had known, he was, and the rejection was just enough to push him over the edge. The whole school could have known my secret before my fingers touched the key to the front door.

    Maybe he was just irritated enough to torment me but void of any kindness, or maybe it would just be awkward. I supposed I could deal with awkward.

    Maybe he would never speak to me again- though I would never admit it, that was a small fear too. There was a part of me that still wanted answers, even if I told myself it was best-case scenario that I never receive them and move on.

    Regardless of what the reality could be, I was overthinking myself into oblivion.

    I walked out of the house that morning to an empty driveway, my legs carrying me to the sidewalk as if that was anything other than normal. It was a bit warmer than it had been earlier in the week, the beginning of October being just as unpredictable as I remembered it to be. It made the walk to school at least a little more pleasant, despite the internal conflict hanging over my head.

    I focused on disassociating with every step- acknowledging every breeze or crunch of leaves under my feet in hopes it would calm my nerves and help me forget that I was worried. It did, for a moment. So much so that I hardly noticed the unusual amount of kids crowded just outside of the school steps until I was close enough to hear the commotion.

    I squinted in the direction of the mass of bodies, still unable to quite make out what was happening. All I could see was a jagged half-circle of people, and a clearing in my direction with two boys in the center, appearing to be fighting. Rolling my eyes, I continued on toward the building with intent of avoiding the mess and going straight to class. Fights weren't uncommon at Belleville. Just because the school was Catholic didn't mean the students were.

    As I approached the first set of steps leading to the front walkway, everything in view became clearer, and so did that jet black hair.

    In the middle of the circle was Frank, fists swinging at another senior boy who's fists were swinging back. The left side of his white button up shirt was un-tucked out of his waistband, tiny flecks of blood scattered about, though I wasn't sure if it was his blood or the other kid's. The gathering of students surrounding them were either egging them on or loudly gossiping to one another, Gerard a few steps out into the clearing laughing and smoking a cigarette as he watched the boys tumble over each other.

    I felt frozen as I watched a few feet away, unable to get myself to keep walking and ignore it all. Frank looked exceptionally angry, though I've seen him in plenty of scuffles over the years. For some reason, I was unable to walk away this time.

    The other boy- Sean, I think his name was- managed to get ahold of Frank and wrestle him to the ground, pushing his shoulders into the concrete walkway for a moment before Frank freed up a hand and hit him in the face again. I winced as Sean staggered and tried to stand up, Frank bounding forward and pushing him back, further away from the crowd of people. I didn't realize that they were getting closer to me as my eyes were locked on the blood trickling out of Frank's nose.

    The noise around me began to feel louder, individual voices becoming an ugly mesh of buzzing as I stood watching, still unable to move.. It was only until then I heard an isolated grunt from Frank that I registered the both of them were dangerously close to me now, though it was too late for me to move before Frank tumbled backward and landed right next to my feet, his bright eyes immediately looking up at me from the pavement. Still frozen in place, I merely clutched my books to my chest and looked back at him.