↘︎ chapter twenty-five

25 | The Quidditch match and broken brooms

The day of the match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff has come again. And though the weather was awful, this time it didn't look like anyone intended to cancel it. The rain was very heavy and the wind was blowing outside. The crowd had lifted up their their robes or umbrellas to protect from the strong rain, but they were still very enthusiastic about the match. All of the Gryffindor team were already ready and out on the wet pitch.

Oliver Wood had made them train seriously for this match, no matter that they were against Hufflepuff. Their team captain was Cedric Diggory, who was also a Seeker like Harry. And extremely charming and handsome, according not only to Marley, but also many other girls.

Both teams were on the pitch. Cedric and Wood shook hands, and for a moment the gaze of the captain of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team stopped at Marley. She smiled at him, and so did he. Marley felt a blush on her cheeks as she prepared to fly out with her broom. Madam Hooch blew the whistle and everyone flew off taking positions. She threw the Quaffle and the game began.

The rain was very intense, the wind brushing Marley's face as she tried to focus her eyesight. There was a thunder in the sky and a flash of light flashed on the gloomy day. Marley heard the voice of commentator Lee Jordan, a friend of hers.

"The Quaffle is in Johnson, oh she passed to... oh, and Preece from Hufflepuff took it. Oh, he is passing to one of his teammates... to late, Macmillan took the Quaffle. A Bludger is coming, she better run. Good hit from the Beater Weasley. I don't know who are you bro, but good hit."

"Jordan!" exclaimed disturbed professor McGonagall who was sitting next to Lee. The black boy just blurted out an excuse and focused on the game again, ignoring the professor.

"The Quaffle is in Macavoy, he passes to Preece... during the transfer Bell caught it and now she is flying toward the goal hoops. Damn it, it's in Applebee now... ("Jordan! No swearing!" Marley heard the voice of professor McGonagall and held her giggle.) well done, Macmillan! She is close to the goal hoop and... SHE SCORES! TEN POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR! What will you say now, professor?"

Professor McGonagall just rolled playfully her eyes. Marley was proud of herself, but the weather was just getting worse and worse. More lighting and thunders, stronger wind and cold rain. She couldn't spot Harry anywhere, but she knew he might be somewhere here. For a moment she seemed distracted and a Bludger was about to hit her, but in the last moment she flew aside with her broom. A hit with a bat erupted behind her - one of the Weasley twins had directed the Bludger to the Hufflepuffs.

"The Quaffle is back in Macavoy. He is flying well in that bad weather, oh, he passes, Applebee couldn't make it and now it's Johnson who is flying with the Quaffle. Watch out, Lina! A Bludger is... and Fred... uhm, I hope it is Fred, makes amazing hit with the Bludger. Johnson passes to Bell but now the Quaffle is in Preece. OH COME ON, GIRL! YOU COULD HAVE CAUGHT IT!"

"JORDAN!" shouted professor McGonagall and spread her hand to take away the magical megaphone from Lee, but he shook his head and made a grimace. "I'm sorry, professor.. I'm sorry. Back to game. Macmillan has the Quaffle, she passes to Johnson and avoids another Bludger, directed from Rickett. Oh, what's that?"

"Watch the game, Jordan!" shouted professor McGonagall and in that time she saw it. Around a hundred dementors were at the Quidditch pitch and when Marley saw them, she quickly looked for Harry and she saw him. Him and Cedric were at fifteen metres above the ground and flying after the Golden Snitch. But suddenly Harry stopped and he fell off his broom, falling straight to the ground.

***

"Is he going to be okay?" concerned asked Marley, bending over at Harry. Her Gryffindor Quidditch uniform was wet and water was flowing from her, her brown hair was wet and falling on the sticks around her face. The roots of her hair were almost dry and even slightly swollen, but water was dripping from its ends.