2. Old Habits

Work continued for Hermione over the next week in a refreshingly mundane way. She enjoyed the feeling of safety, knowing that the only risk in her new job was the odd paper cut. She smiled to herself and buried her face deeper into her scarf as she made her way to work in the drizzling rain, everyone she walked by too busy to notice the odd way the rain seemed to bounce away before reaching her face, like it was hitting an invisible shield.

As Hermione walked in to the warm reception room Rose stood up suddenly from behind her desk and hurried over to her.

"Ms Granger," she smiled, trying to her worry for Hermione, "Mr. M would like to see you in his office. Now."

Of course, Hermione was nervous. She thanked Rose before removing her scarf and hesitantly making her way towards his office. It didn't help her nerves that every time she had mentioned their boss to her co-workers, they seemed too frightened to say anything more about him than just simple, polite compliments.

Hermione reached the end of the corridor where his office was located. She looked up at the magnificent, ornately carved door, it reminded her of something she had seen in the Ministry. She raised her shaky hand to knock on the door but, like it was somehow anticipating her arrival, it swung open.

Hermione took one cautious step inside, admiring the enormous, beautiful office. The walls replaced completely with windows, giving a beautiful view of the city below. And placed, in the very centre of the room was a black desk, carved to match the ornate door. The door swung shut behind her, giving her a fright. From the plush office chair facing away from her a voice spoke with a chuckle.

"Ahh, Granger. No matter where I go, I can't seem to escape you."

At the sound of that distinct voice, Hermione's body was shot through with anger. She raised her wand defensively and the man turned in the chair to face her.

"Malfoy." She spat at the sight of his smug face, raising her wand higher.

Draco just laughed. "Tut, Tut Granger, that's Mr  Malfoy to you." He enjoyed how uncomfortable he was making her. He raised his hand towards one of the two straight-backed chairs placed in front of his desk indicating for her to sit down "Now, be a good girl and lower your wand. You wouldn't want to lose your job, now would you?"

With every ounce of control Hermione put her wand away and sat down. She desperately wanted to wipe that smug look of his face, but she also didn't want to lose her job because of him.

Draco continued to gloat, sitting back in his oversized chair with one leg crossed over the other.

"Why are you here Malfoy?" She forced through her teeth. His smiled grew wider and he raised his eyebrows, forcing Hermione to correct herself, "Mr Malfoy?"

"I should ask you the same question." Malfoy pondered, "why would one third of the Golden Trio leave all of her fame behind for an office job? Is the Ministry no longer paying enough for your appearances?" His eyes wandered over Hermione as she thought through her words carefully. He had not seen her since the end of the war. Her hair looked softer. Her eyes more kind. Her lips fuller. The curve of her hips- Malfoy cleared his throat and sat up straighter, not allowing any more sickening thoughts of Hermione Granger ruin the fun he was having with her now.

Hermione refused to meet his gaze, instead her eyes followed the slow movement of the clouds outside the window as she spoke slowly, "I couldn't take it anymore. I took this job to get away from it all. Obviously, it didn't work. Not that it is any of your business anyway. "

Malfoy's eyes flickered with anger; his legendary temper was falling very short. He stood up from his chair and lent over the desk to get as close to her as possible.

"See Granger," he seethed, enjoying the way her body tensed slightly with fear, "the thing that you fail to understand is that it is my business. Everything you do is my business. You work for me and you will do as I say." He paused for a moment. Hermione was now staring him straight in the eyes, if he wasn't so furious, he would have taken a moment to appreciate the way they shifted into different shades of honey in the sun. He continued, his voice now a dangerous whisper. "Now Granger, you are going to stand up, smile politely at me and say 'Thank you so much for your time Mr Malfoy' and then you are going to turn around and leave and close that door behind you. Understand?"

Hermione refused to lower her gaze as she gave him one firm nod. But that wasn't enough for him. He lent closer to her and spat, "Understand, Granger?"

Hermione stood up, her body tense. She just wanted to get out of there. She took a split second to calm herself before she plastered a huge, fake smile across her face, "I understand Mr Malfoy. Thank you so much for your time Mr Malfoy."

And with that, she turned on her heels and walked out, leaving Draco still leaning over his desk and breathing heavily.