Twenty-four

As irritated as Kaycee was with Sean, it satisfied her knowing that he was going through hell. Not the same kind of hell that she was going through, but hell nonetheless.

He chose to back away. Their lips were so close together that any movement forward would've caused them to collide. And at that moment, she had never felt so confident in her entire life, she felt like she was doing the right thing. That was, until Sean denied her access.

He was eerily quiet today, but at least he wasn't ignoring her. He simply sat at the far end of the couch, twiddling his thumbs and listening to Charm as she droned on about the shoot. Neither of them were really paying attention, though, their minds were occupied with thoughts of each other.

"So, we'll start in a few minutes. I just have to set up my equipment." Charm quipped, glancing at the two solemn teenagers in front of her. "Just keep doing what you're doing while you wait, I suppose."

Once the woman was out of earshot, Kaycee heard Sean clear his throat to get her attention. She shifted in her seat to face him and waited for him to speak, which she wasn't so sure he'd have the guts to do.

"I feel like we should talk about our last rehearsal." He spoke quietly, still preoccupying himself with his thumbs.

"What a noble idea, I'm so glad you thought of that." Kaycee rebutted sarcastically. "You're always so wise."

Sean sighed, rolling his eyes at her childishness. "What's your problem?"

"What do you think my problem is, Sean?" She asked incredulously. "That's a stupid question. This is why I said you're the confusing one."

"Okay let's start there." He said, finally directing his gaze to Kaycee. "I said you're confusing because I couldn't understand why you stayed with Jack back then. You don't have to go and turn it into a personal attack."

"I absolutely do, because that's not what you meant by it. We both know that." She spoke so harshly that it almost scared herself, she couldn't imagine being on the receiving end of it.

Sean gulped, stiffening in his seat. "Maybe so, but I'm not really sure what I meant. You're just confusing."

"How am I so confusing?" Kaycee threw up her hands in exasperation. "I feel like I've always been pretty transparent with my feelings."

Sean snickered, "You're about as transparent as a brick wall when it comes to this kind of stuff."

"And what exactly is this kind of stuff?" Kaycee asked cockily. She knew she'd trapped him with that statement, he'd practically dug his own grave.

But unfortunately, before Kaycee could see him sweat, Charm called them over to start filming. "Are you guys ready to start? I'm all set up in here!"

Sean raised his eyebrows in a taunting manner. "Looks like we'll just have to pick this conversation up later." He stood from his spot and extended his hand out to help her up. "That'll give me time to think of an answer."

Kaycee scoffed, slapping his hand away and standing on her own. "You're infuriating. That's not fair."

"What's not fair is you taking something I said months ago and using it against me because you messed up." He replied, more seriously this time.

Kaycee stopped dead in her tracks. "What did you just say?"

Sean shuffled forward a few more steps before turning around, serious regret pooled in his eyes. "No that's not what I meant-"

"Really? Because your words say otherwise. Stop trying to backtrack on what you say, that's not a favorable characteristic." She spat, finishing her sentence and clenching her jaw shut.