13

Will's POV

"In reality, there is an answer, but since we aren't allowed to use imaginary numbers for this assignment we have to write 'no solution.'" 

Mike was trying to explain basic math to me. It's not that I didn't know math, I just didn't know the specific teaching style of the school's math teacher. So he was going through every detail he could while sitting next to me with the math book between us. 

El had given up on math and gone back to English assignments, but then decided to lay face down on the floor groaning for a bit. 

"Understand?" Mike asked. 

I just nodded.

"Can we sleep yet?" El groaned.

"Just a few more problems," Mike assured but El had already risen from the floor and marched down the hall to her bedroom. 

I smiled slightly, El was always sleepy. However, my smile instantly left when Mike scooted over so that our thighs were touching and elbows bumping.

He was so close, too close. Why had he moved?

I wasn't exactly focusing on the work but I did notice that Mike had stopped talking. 

I looked at him expectantly, "what's next?" My voice was doing its best to remain normal and unbroken. 

Mike wasn't looking at me, just staring at the book. I started to grow concern until his gaze finally rose to meet mine. 

His face was flushed. Was he hot? Well...definitely. Should I turn the AC on? Did this house even have AC? 

"Will?" He interrupted me from my panicked thoughts. My eyes flickered to his lips for a brief second before I looked back into his hesitant eyes.

Him being to close to me was really testing my self control. 

"Yes?"

Mike swallowed thickly. "I'm sorry."

His voice had dropped so suddenly that I almost thought I had imagined his voice.

"For what?" I questioned.

His lip was between his teeth and I did my best not to glance every second.

"For before you left,"

My breath caught in my throat.

"when I yelled at you and said just...mean things..." he whispered and looked away from me finally.

I was able to breath again.

"I said some stuff too," I admitted. 

He shook his head, "No, I needed to hear what you were saying-"

"I was being unfair," I reasoned.

"You were being human," he countered, "and no matter what you did say that day, I shouldn't have said what I did." His eyes met mine once more.

I tried my best not to get lost in them. 

"Well I've had time to forgive you, we can just forget it ever happened."

He shook his head again, "no, you can't just forget what I did to spare my feelings."

I was getting no where with him, it was frustrating.

"I am going to do as I please with that memory, since it is my memory and all."

"Whoa, I wasn't trying to boss you around or anything," there was guilt evident in his face, "I just care about you too much."

"Well if you really cared about me how come you keep ignoring me?" Mike was messing with my feelings, manipulating me. He was trying to get me to fall for him even deeper because he knew I liked him. He knew I was gay. 

Even though I was aware that irrational thoughts are very common in times of emotion, I was firm with my beliefs and accusations.

"Ignore?" He really looked confused. Of course he would.

"Yeah, I've tried to get your attention all day but you just kept staring off into space! You don't care about me, you don't care about our friendship, you just stick around me because of El!"

Mike's face dropped, he fell silent. Whatever he was thinking shocked him as eyes widened and he gaped at me.

"Will?" His voice was soft again, no anger, no confusion. It was kind but unsure. But his hands were sure as they were placed on the sides of my face.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought he was about to kiss me. More like hoped he was about to.

His eyes wondered over every part of my face before resting on a specific part. He sighed heavily.

Was he going to kiss me? It felt like it. I was tempted to lean in, the sleepy and irrational part of me wanted to. But before I could Mike broke eye contact.

"I should, um," he cleared his throat, "I should go home." 

I nodded, "You need a ride or anything?" My question was stupid, I was just trying to fill the air.

Mike shook his head and started gathering up his stuff. I sat there watching him, still in shock from earlier. He hadn't even kissed me and my heart rate had already doubled its speed. 

"Bye," he muttered.

I didn't answer.

It wasn't before I heard the front door slam that I felt my body relax.

"Well shit."

------

It's really hard not to swear so much in this book. Fuck stranger things for keeping the children innocent. A joke guys. I jest.

Also, I would like to confirm that I am, in fact, a useless bi. There have been several tests and recent studies that prove that statement.