Chapter 40: An Attempt To Remedy

Shota was beginning to lose consciousness and while he had insisted (Y/n) run away from the house, she couldn't just leave him to die. She rushed over to Rei and pushed him out of the way, leaning her ear down to the redhead's chest to see if his heart was still beating. When it was, she exhaled deeply and hugged the boy tightly, crying.

"Thank goodness!" she bawled.

Shota, in response, put his hand wearily on the back of her head and stroked her hair delicately. Her fear of losing him only increased his understanding of her. She was far too compassionate for her own good, especially to those of the male variety. He would have to fix that, but, for the time being, his craving for her touch and love sated him if only temporarily.

He smirked to himself, enjoying every reaction she had made, consumed by the overwhelming idea of being without him. This was exactly what he had planned and Rei fell right into the trap, giving him room to play the hero. The payoff was better than he had anticipated.

He was now on the couch as (Y/n) began to tend to him carefully. She had brought him whatever he had requested of her without a second thought. It amused him to see her running around at his behest and did much to feed his ego. This was the kind of attention he so desperately wanted to steal from Rei and enjoyed seeing his tormented expression, especially with the added bonus of having the (h/c) haired girl tending so cautiously to him as if he could break at any moment.

The heartbroken blonde watched the girl as she ran back and forth, doing all kinds of favors for the redhead. It didn't matter how small the task was, she would do it for him. Rei was used to being treated like a prince, and rather preferred and enjoyed the idea of (Y/n) treating him as such, as well. Yet to see her do what he wanted so badly for another was like tearing out his heart and smashing it to pieces.

When he finally had enough of the sight, he grabbed his best friend by his collar, dragging him up the stairs with him rather violently. Shota grumbled slightly, wanting to drag out the torture longer, but decided not to say anything to object to it. Instead, he turned his head to see the girl awaiting further instructions, letting a blush coat his features.

He chuckled slightly, noticing she looked almost like a puppy, ready to jump at her master's wish at any moment. He pulled her in and hugged her tightly as he let out a few laughs slip. (Y/n) didn't mind it either, taking it as though he was feeling better. On the other hand, the remaining males that were in the room felt a great sense of jealousy at the sight.

"What's going to happen now?" Haru asked, tilting his head, a frown evident on his features, "I don't really want to go to school today. I'd much rather stay here with (Y/n)."

There was a long pause before anyone spoke up. However, to everyone's surprise, it was (Y/n), her voice soft and trembling. Her pleading was more directed to Shota than anyone else as she knew he was more likely to consider it than any of the others.

"Can I go to school?" she meekly requested, her begging eyes pulled on the heartstrings of everyone in the room, but it wasn't enough.

"How do we know you won't run away?" Takuya asked, his expression turning to absolute concern, "You might get hurt. Someone could steal you. You need to stay here where it's safe."

"We're only trying to protect you," Haru added, "I'll protect you so you don't need to worry. Anything you want is yours. I'd buy you a house if you wanted it, I promise."

"But you won't let me go outside," the girl frowned.

"Because you were a dumbass," Yamato snarled, "Earn our trust before you ask for something like that."

Finding that she would not be winning the argument, (Y/n) sighed heavily, irritating the brunette who tapped his foot impatiently. When her downtrodden state became too much for him, he grabbed his coat and slammed the front door behind him. Before the door closed all the way he shouted "errand" as his reasoning for leaving.