thirteen ; interception

————————————

————————————

Aurora Areli

UNFORTUNATELY, IT WAS MONDAY. The weekend had gone by much faster than I would have liked, especially since it had gone so well. Now, as I got dressed and ready for the school day, I found myself wishing it was Sunday again, when I could spend the day enjoying the last of the autumn sunshine with Harry, Ron and Hermione, or cozied up in the common room doing the reading for the following week.

"Are you almost done, Rory?" Hermione asked, coming around my bed to watch as I tied my shoes.

"Yeah, just a second," I told her.

But before we could head downstairs to meet the boys, there was a loud, wailing, klaxton-like sound from outside our dormitory. Hermione and I exchanged somewhat surprised looks. I had only ever heard of one boy trying to climb the girls' staircase during our time at Hogwarts, and that was years ago — he had surely graduated by now.

"I wonder who that was?" Hermione said.

I stood from my bed, grabbed my bag and wand, and made to cross to the door. "Let's go find out."

I opened the door to reveal a smooth stone slide where the stairs had once been. Hermione and I glanced at each other, and I smiled.

"After you."

Once Hermione had disappeared down the slide, I followed her, keeping tight hold of my schoolbag.

"It's not fair!" Ron's voice was saying. "Hermione and Rory are allowed in our dormitory, how come we're not allowed in theirs?"

"It's an old-fashioned rule," Hermione said, as I slid down onto a rug in front of them. Harry held out a hand and helped me to my feet. "It says in Hogwarts, A History, that the founders thought boys were less trustworthy than the girls. Anyway, why were you trying to get in there?"

"To see you and Rory — look at this!" Ron said, dragging us over to the noticeboard.

There was a new sign that had been fixed to it, so large that it covered everything else. The new sign was printed in large black letters, complete with a highly official-looking seal at the bottom beside a neat and curly signature, written in handwriting that I recognised immediately.

 The new sign was printed in large black letters, complete with a highly official-looking seal at the bottom beside a neat and curly signature, written in handwriting that I recognised immediately