fourteen

{fear}

Under the soft rays of the setting sun, Jungkook made his way down the street. It didn't take him very long to reach the convenience store, wedged between two taller buildings. It looked squeezed, as if the neighbours were closing in. The sign was old, some letters had become illegible in the peeling paint. But the windows were clean and the inside appeared tidy, so this was where Jungkook always ended up shopping.

Jungkook pushed the door and a bell rang. The store was far longer then it was wide, almost like a corridor with shelving spanning on both sides. It was pristine, and Jungkook found himself happily strolling throughout the store, a basket in his hand as he pulled things from the shelves. 

First was a few cups of ramen. He had run out of them after getting involved with Bangtan. Namjoon had called him so early in the morning sometimes that Jungkook simply didn't have time for a nutritional breakfast, simply boiling a packet of ramen. It wasn't very healthy, but Jungkook had been more concerned about his sleep schedule more then his eating habits. He was beginning to develop dark circles under his eyes... he wondered how Hoseok managed to remain so lively looking. 

Next he picked out some fruit and vegetables, deciding to make a proper meal for dinner. And finally he grabbed a fresh carton of milk, eggs and butter for the necessities. 

Strolling over to the front counter, Jungkook placed his basket onto the bench, unpacking it as the man behind the counter scanned the goods. With each beep of the machine, Jungkook watched the price total go up, and he couldn't help but visibly cringe at the price. He'd skipped a lot of his part-time work shifts recently, and his wallet was certainly hurting. 

The shopkeeper rose his gaze, "That's a total of twenty-three dollars." 

Jungkook let out a huff, swiping out a couple bills as he handed them over to the man. He never used a debit card... for obvious safety reasons. 

The man handed back the change along with a plastic bag of Jungkook's groceries. So with a quick smile, Jungkook took his things, making his way out the front of the store and back out into the streets. 

Eyes drifting to the sky, Jungkook watched as the blue transformed into a golden hue, peach climbing over the clouds as the sun began its decent. He found himself stopping to stare for a short moment, the wind cool and refreshing on his face as it tousled and toyed with his hair. 

Letting out a sigh, Jungkook's eyes drifted back down, his legs beginning to move as he made his way back towards his apartment. 

But then he stopped moving

His feet came to a hard stop, his careless expression falling into something alarming as his eyes grew wide. 

His breath fell short as his gaze fell over a familiar man in the distance. He was dressed in all black, his hat shrouding most of his features, but Jungkook would recognise that man anywhere... that stance, that build... that sinister smirk. 

Jungkook's body wanted to either run fast for the hills or work to find weaponry, but instead he stayed right where he was. Simply watching... expecting the worst. But to Jungkook's complete surprise, his father, that man, was not looking in his direction, he hadn't spotted him. 

Almost as if a dizzy spell had hit him, Jungkook felt almost weak, his legs almost buckling as a wave of nausea washed over him. Dropping his bag of groceries to the footpath, the fruit began to roll away, but Jungkook didn't care as he turned on his feet and bolted. His feet moved fast over the cold streets, the wind chilling against his face as he rounded one final corner.