Tip 7: Respond to All Comments

I always make a special effort to respond to all comments. The only ones I don't are the ones I wasn't notified about. Sometimes I receive a comment where the reader remarks how amazed they are that I responded to them. I guess responding to all comments is an uncommon practice? Here's why you should make it your practice too...

Readers Feel Appreciated

We as humans all feel the need for connection, even if we're shy. We want to feel important, or at least noticed. We want people to acknowledge the things we say. When you post a comment anywhere (not just here on Wattpad), and then you discover you got a response to it, how do you feel? Usually good, right? This is a gift you want to give to your followers.

It Encourages More Comments

Not only will you start establishing a reputation as a responsive person, each reply you give encourages that reader to leave more comments. When the reader feels like they aren't talking to themselves or yammering into space, they want to share more comments with you. They want to continue feeling acknowledged. It feels good to be seen.

Other readers who peruse the comments will also notice. This likely encourages them to leave comments as well. With each reply you leave, you give a tiny boost to your reputation.

Comments Get Calculated into the Algorithm

If altruism isn't enough to get your butt into gear about responding to comments, this reason should. Wattpad calculates comment activity into its mysterious ranking algorithm. The more comments that get posted into your story, the stronger its ranking gets.

Now, this doesn't mean you should go in and start spamming your own story with pointless comments. It's possible the engineers have a way to account for that. Instead of trying to cheat the system, just be sincere. Encourage discussion among your readers and ensure they all feel like they have a voice.

Stay Positive

Some of you may be pouting and saying things like, "What readers? I don't get any comments!" I understand the frustration, but it's still early. Once you start getting them, remember the advice on this page. I've got lots more great tips coming, so you'll get there.

The other important thing about staying positive is to temper your responses, even if someone says something you don't like. It's natural we want to defend ourselves against what feels like an attack, but never write those responses while angry. Take a few breaths, go for a walk, or leave the comment for a day and respond later.

You can defend yourself while still being polite. Even if the reader flat out insults you or your work, you do not stoop down to their level. You are better than that. People who like to hurl insults have problems you don't know about, so do your best by remaining polite. I've had a few readers who expressed displeasure about one thing or another. I would usually respond with something like, "I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's okay. I hope you find something you enjoy more."

I've actually won over some of these people by doing this. By refusing to return the insults that were given to me, I remained on high ground. The reader--who was likely expecting a flame war--is surprised, and maybe a little pleased at being treated seriously. They feel seen. Maybe not a lot of people wish them well. We never know what issues people are dealing with when they lash out, so be kind, always.

Wattpad Notices

The team at Wattpad HQ have a set of criteria they look for when asking potential writers to join any of their programs. One of the most important is how you conduct yourself. This includes your responses to comments and the comments you leave for others. If you remain professional, kind, and positive, you will score major points in that department.

Should I Delete Comments I Don't Like?

That is up to you. Many writers do delete them. I tend to leave them. Why? A few reasons:

1. Each one is another comment added to your ranking algorithm.

2. By responding kindly to these negative comments, I demonstrate how professional I am. This impresses both other readers as well as any Wattpad staff that might encounter it.

3. Occasionally, other readers will come to your defense and leave comments to support you. This boosts your comment count.

4. When readers see both positive and negative comments coexisting, they know the writer isn't culling the ones they don't want. In a small way, that makes your story feel like an open platform where comments aren't censored. I like to think this increases the likelihood of people writing comments.

The only comments I delete are advertisements and anything that might hurt someone else. This enhances my image as an open and welcoming writer. And by responding to these comments, I demonstrate that I've read each one of them. Readers like that. So do yourself a favor and respond positively to comments!