"Call Me an Old Man"

When Amelia and I re-emerge back outside all eyes turn to us.

My father, calm and understanding, smirks, knowing Amelia won this battle. But that's nothing new, in the end she always wins, because I'm not fighting against her but for her.

My mother's eyes are full of uncertainty. For the first time in years, I take a minute to look at her. A few grey hairs shine in the sun, largely contrasted with her black strands. More wrinkles cover her face. She looks older, much older and tired.

Meghan simply gives me a nod. This is what Amelia wants. We'll do it.

"Father," I shake his hand before turning.
"Mother," I nod in the direction of the woman who raised me. "I'm glad to see your doing well." And that's the truth, I may be angry with her, and unable to forgive the pain she caused, but that doesn't mean I don't pray she's alright.

I turn to walk away, not liking the way her eyes well with tears. When I catch Amelia's eye, I halt. I'd give anything for her to look at me like that everyday. She mouths a 'thank you' as she walks past me, smiling as my mother. "We're so happy you guys where able to make it today. I know it means a lot to Theo." She starts making small talk, and I just watch, it's as if the past few months haven't happened, she my Lia again.

I don't know how long I stand there, watching my wife, but I'm suddenly pulled from dream land when I'm drenched in freezing water. I'm barely able to take a breath before powder fills the air surrounding me.

I'm wet and sticky, wiping what I'm pretty sure if flour from my eyes as the giggles and laughter of my children fill my ears.

"Carter!" Isaiah roars, and I see he too is covered in wet sticky flour. His son is on the balcony above us with a large bucket, his sister next to him giggling with a bag of flour, Zoey is standing up there grinning down.

Next to me Xander his holding a bucket with Theo on his shoulders, Ryder has Mayzie on his.

I notice Amelia's frown as I squint it the obnoxious laughter coming from the children. She seems concerned while Meghan looks amused.

"Big mistake." I growl, jokingly. Watching as Xander slowly sets Theo to the ground.

"Run." He whispers, "I'll hold the old man off." He glances at Ryder. "You too." From my peripheral I see Isaiah straighten up, squaring his shoulders.

Zoey suddenly appears with the other two. "You guys hide too, Ryder and I will stall your dad."

"I'm glad you know you'll only be able to stall your Uncle." Isaiah grins, stepping forward, sending all the little kids running.

"Old man?" I question Xander who grins in response. "I may not be twenty-five anymore but I can still have you on your ass in fifteen seconds flat."

"Bring it." He grins, pulling the water hose out from behind his back. Movement at the corner of my eye, causes me to catch Amelia pick up the hose from behind Xander and kink it.

I smirk, taking a step toward my son and he flicks the hose valve to open it but nothing comes out, he frowns, flicking it again, looking behind him when nothing happens. "Moooom!" He groans, and I take my opportunity to shoulder check him to the ground.

He groans in pain and I easily snatch the hose from him. "Now baby." I shout, aiming the hose at Xander's face chuckling as water sprays at full force and he starts sputtering. "Call me an old man again Xander." I actually laugh at his struggle to avoid the freezing water.

"Charge!" Is screamed from somewhere in the yard, but I don't turn to look which ends up being a mistake as I'm suddenly attacked from behind.

Mayzie attaches herself to my leg pulling on the hose and I let it go.

"Run Xander!" She's screams giggling, spraying me, laughing harder at my sudden sputtering.

"Mayzie!" I snatch her up and she squeals, dropping the hose. "You're in trouble now!" After taking a second to wipe my eyes clear, I start marching toward the pool.

"No, Daddy." She screams when I continue toward the deep end. "Daddy!" She giggles as I lift her from my shoulder, laughing at her squeal when I toss her in pink princess dress and all.

"Are you crazy?!" Amelia suddenly runs up beside me, looking both panicked and ready to jump in.

"What?" I ask, grabbing arm.

"Are you trying to kill her?" She screeches, just as Mayzie's head pops up from the water and she stays laughing. But it sounds hazy with the ringing in my ears.

Kill her? My daughter? When I realize what she's suggesting I drop her arm. She's staring at Mayzie in confusion.

"Mayzie and Theo were both put in private swim lessons as soon as they were old enough." I don't mean for my tone to be so sharp but I don't apologize when Amelia winces. She's in no position to accuse me of something like that. "If you remember one thing about me, let it be that I do everything," My fists clench as I I grit my teeth. "I have always done everything in my power to keep my children safe and happy. Do not ever..." A hand claps my shoulder, cutting me off and Isaiah nods toward the house.

"Come on, I need a change of clothes."

I know I shouldn't be angry but damn it, her comment hit me in the gut.

I follow Isaiah toward the house, my mind whirling with the events of the past hour.

The second we walk through the door, my fist connects with the drywall.

***
Comments?