Twenty-six

For the first time in ages, Kylie was being a supportive sister. When Kaycee was still with Jack, she felt like the two girls were on two completely different planets, Kylie seemingly would never agree with anything Kaycee was doing. Now Kaycee sat in Kylie's bedroom with her hand on the vanity, watching as Kylie set the concealer on her wrist with setting powder.

"Don't you think this is a little overboard?" Kylie asked, pressing the powder gently onto her sister's wrist.

"I don't want mom and dad seeing it." Kaycee rebutted, using her free hand to point to a spot Kylie had missed. "You can still see it right there."

Kylie groaned, setting the beauty sponge down on the vanity. "I'm not a magician, I can't make it disappear!" 

Kaycee pushed her arm closer to the older girl. "I'm not asking you to make it disappear, I'm asking you to cover it up for the day. Chop chop, we're not done."

"You might not be done, but I am." Kylie replied, standing up and walking to her suitcase that lay on her bed.

So much for being a supportive sister now Kaycee thought. She reluctantly stood up as well, padding over to Kylie's bed only to plop herself down again.

"Have you talked to Sean since that thing appeared?" The older girl asked nonchalantly, throwing various articles of clothing in her suitcase.

"Not really, not like full conversations." Kaycee answered, playing with the zipper on Kylie's bag. "I just asked if he's still coming with us today and he said yes. That's about it."

"You know that he has yours too, right?" Kylie quipped, pulling her suitcase closed and attempting to zip it shut. "Like your initials. You both get them at the same time."

Kaycee nodded, "I know, I've done my research."

Kylie snorted, "So that also means that you're not allowed to beat around the bush. That will make it uncomfortable." She finally zipped her bag shut and threw it on the ground beside her feet.

"That's gonna be the hard part. Neither of us are very good with our feelings." Kaycee retorted glumly.

Kylie pulled her suitcase over to her door, glancing out the window while she did so. "Well you should probably figure it out within the next sixty seconds, because he's here now."

Kaycee jumped up from her sister's bed, running to the window and looking outside. Surely enough, Sean stood by the RV next to her father, chatting him up.

She couldn't help but groan, turning on her heel and running out of Kylie's room and into her own. She pulled her already packed suitcase off of her bed and reluctantly following Kylie down the hallway toward the stairs.

"I'm not emotionally ready to handle this." She griped, stopping abruptly at the top of the stairs.

She heard Kylie snicker as she made her descent to the kitchen. "If you weren't emotionally ready, you wouldn't have those letters in the first place." She called back to her sister. "And even if you still don't think you're ready, I don't think you have much of a choice."

Kaycee took a deep breath, climbing down the stairs slowly. "This is too much responsibility that I really don't have the capacity for."

"Tough shit." Kylie blurted when the younger girl entered the kitchen. "Put your shoes on, they're all outside waiting for us."

"You don't think we can stall for another five minutes, I-"

Kaycee was interrupted by a pair of shoes being hurdled at her from across the room. "No, I don't think we can stall for any longer, put the damn shoes on, you're irritating me."