Chapter 24- The Red Riding Hood And Her Wolf

Author's note:  We have hit 20K reads!!! Thank you so much🤗

"Am I asking you to clean?" She snapped when he teased her about having a 'clean bowled' moment. It was the term that he always used when she went on a cleaning spree. When they were together, they would always have arguments about how he could never clean up after himself, and she had to do it for him. Even after so many years, whenever he was lazy and left his stuff lying around, he could hear her voice and the look she would give him.

The ringing of her phone brought Shaurya out of his thoughts. She tried to move her hands away, but he shook his head."I'll go get it." He said and followed the sound.

He walked into a bedroom, which looked like it belonged to Dhvani and Dhruv's because of the big picture frame on the wall above the bed. It was a picture of Dhruv when he was younger. He couldn't tell how old Dhruv really was, but he had no teeth, and he was kissing or biting Dhvani's cheek while she was holding him and laughing.

"Did you find it?" Dhvani yelled.

Find what? Oh right! The phone. He looked around the bedroom and found it under the pile of clothes.

'Papa' the caller id read. He really had to give this man credit where it was due. Haripraksh Mishra had this amazing talent of coming in between him and Dhvani even when he was sitting somewhere else in the country or city.

He returned to the kitchen with the phone in his hand. It had already stopped ringing, but her ex-father-in-law was not a man to give up easily; he called again.

"Who is it?" She asked, distractedly staring at her hands and then shutting off the tap.

"Your father." He said and held out the phone in front of her. He wanted to see how she talked to her father. Would she accuse him? Would she be able to stand up to her hero for what he did to them?

He saw the colour sweep out of Dhvani's face at the mention of her father. Without even wiping her hands, she grabbed the phone and ended the call.

"Are you not even going to talk to him to ask him anything?" Shaurya whispered after moments of silence. Did she not want to question her father after everything he had done? But then who was he to judge? He had ignored Priya's calls this morning too. The fact that his friend had a hand in their separation cut him deep. Whatever the reason was for her to hide Dhvani's multiple attempts of reaching out to him, it was wrong, and he couldn't forgive her.

Dhvani leaned her hips against the sink and closed her eyes. He felt a heavyweight starting to weigh his heart down as he watched her fighting back her tears. "I didn't realize how much he hated you. Hated us together until yesterday." She whispered as she stared at her feet. "I don't think I want to see him or talk to him yet."

He took a step towards her and stood in front of her. "What do you mean?"

Dhvani wiped her tears away and sniffled. The tip of her nose turned red, and he immediately remembered the endearment he would call her- red riding hood. Her nose and face would always get red when she was really cold, really angry or really emotional. Sometimes, in between a fight, he would call her 'Red Riding Hood' and break into laughter much to her irritation. And sometimes, if she were in a good mood, she would call him her wolf to which he would playfully howl and pounce on her and tackle her down with sloppy kisses and soft bites.

"When he came to me with those divorce papers that you apparently sent to me." She paused and took deep breaths to calm down. "I told him I was pregnant. And I didn't realize how cruel my father was then even when he asked me to choose between Dhruv and him."

"What?" He asked in disbelief. Were Dhvani and her father not in touch? Her father gave her an ultimatum to choose between Dhruv and him?

"He didn't want me to give birth to your baby. To our baby. He didn't call me for nine months." She explained, ending any confusion he may have.