4. Scared

Enjoy Reading (:

---------------------------------------------

Flashback:

Twenty years ago:

Nine years old Kabir:

He was sitting at his usual place in the orphanage. There were many kids of all age group each having their own story but he didn't talk to anyone. At first some kids tried to approach him but his lack of interest turned off their advances.

He was just watching three small kids. They were two boys and one girl, around two three years old. These were the only ones that kept him interested. He smiled rarely now and it was only reserved for them.

Some of the other kids at orphanage thought that he was showing too much of attitude but he never minded anything being said about him. That night he was sitting in his room when one of the older kids there told him that the in charge was calling for him. Kabir was surprised that they were calling at this unusual time but nodded nonetheless. He walked towards the room in darkness as few lights were not working.

Darkness always scared him. His mother made sure to keep lights on in their house after it was dark. Now she was gone but the fear was there.

He slowly walked through the corridor and knocked the room that he was instructed to go. The room opened but he can't see anyone. It was completely dark inside. He didn't want to enter the room but someone pulled him. Before he could get the time to react he could feel the person walking out and closing the door. He was left alone in the dark room because the older kids thought that he was showing too much attitude.

He instantly started shivering. His heartbeat started going high. His breathing turning rapid and his hands and feet were turning cold. He knew that he was going to faint but he didn't want to. Because losing his consciousness won't help him get out of that room. It would just mean that he would be stuck here for God knows how long.

He knew that he and only he could do something to get him out of that situation. Shouting or crying for help were not even options as the boys outside would just enjoy it but won't help him. But still he can't control his body.

It was his body's reaction but it was all in his mind. He read that in this science journal for kids. So he tried to distract his mind but nothing was making sense at that moment as all he could see and feel was darkness. He closed his eyes feeling helpless. Perhaps unconsciousness was his only option.

He remembered his mother's face, her smile not the fake one but the one that reached her blue eyes. He got his mother's eyes and he felt proud of that. Blue was a rare colour and he knew it. He remembered running around the house when his mom cooked something which he didn't like. She chased him all the while laughing and when she finally got him, she tickled him. A smile automatically came on his face and he felt that his body was much relaxed now. It was a pleasant surprise.

He didn't open his eyes but just kept on thinking about their happy times and slowly started humming a melody. He then opened his eyes. Now he wasn't feeling the darkness in the room but the light that he will see after going out of it.

He walked near the door and spoke in a strong voice, "I know your names and I can report this incident tomorrow but it won't be good for any of us. They will scold you and you will torcher me more. So, cut the chase and open the door and we all can forget that anything ever happened."

He could hear the voices out of the room and the door finally opened. The Kabir that walked out from that room was different from the Kabir that entered. This Kabir was mature and knew how to handle difficulties in his life.

The world is a dark place and people around you feed on your weakness. So whenever you find yourself in darkness, close your eyes, and think about your happy place. Think about the good times and person. Think about your source of inspiration. It will be your motivation to walk out of that darkness.

He looked at the boys with a strong glare but didn't say a word. He entered his wing and after looking around that no one was watching him walked hurriedly but calmly to the washroom and finally vomited his entire dinner.

The nausea that he was feeling from the time he was locked finally settled. Had he shown this weakness to those boys he would have enjoyed it. So he didn't. His strong glare was a mask to hide his actual feeling. He realised one more thing that he needed to guard his true self from the world because they don't deserve to know it.

***

They were walking in the sand. They appeared to be a couple in love but only they knew the distance between them was bigger than this ocean and the secrets between them were even deeper.

None of them made any attempt to start the conversation; not wanting any words to be said out loud. She was quiet because she was intimidated by him. A part of her was always star stuck by his charming personality. He was quiet because he knew that his words will destruct her. He knew it will happen in the end but wanted it to delay for a moment or two. But one can't delay the inevitable.

"Why did you run away?" He asked in a calm tone. Hoping that he won't get the reply that he was thinking.

She didn't speak anything for a while; carefully considering her words before speaking them aloud. With him one has to be careful.

"I...Promise me you won't get mad at me." She replied in a low voice.

"You know that I don't make such promises before listening. Now, I will ask one last time; why did you run away?" Kabir said in a firm voice and she just sighed.

"I was scared." She said in a low voice.

"Scared of what?" He asked praying for all the patience in the world because he knew what she was going to say next.

She took a deep breath and decided to speak the truth because she can't hide anything from him. He reads her too well. If only she had the ability to do the same.

"I was scared of you telling me something which would burst the happy bubble I was in from past few days. I don't know what is there between us. I never questioned; you never said anything. Is there a relationship between us? If yes then what is it called? We have been together from past few months but we never said anything about it being permanent!" She vented her frustration and a tear drop came out from her eyes.

"Why is it coming out now? Why not earlier? Why after your pregnancy?" Kabir asked in a neutral tone.

"Because earlier I had only me to take care of, but now I have a tiny life inside me to think about. It was okay as long as it was only us but with a baby in picture now I can't go on pretending as if I'm strong, as if everything is okay when it is not." She replied and closed her eyes to control tears.

Kabir's patience was running on thin line. She was doing the exact thing he hated. Talking in circles. He was asking her why did she run away and she was giving reasons for her doubts.

"I will ask you once again, why did you run away? No excuses, no explanations...Just answer me in clear words." He asked in a high voice, feeling frustrated.

"Because I was scared that you will ask me to abort this child and I'm mad enough to think about it if you say so!"

She shouted in anger and both of them stilled realising the impact of her words that will change rest of their lives.

***
Offo!

She shouldn't have said that! These words are going to change everything.

Now what do you think will happen next?! What's Kabir gonna do now?

You will know about her in the next chapter. Her identity will be revealed in the next chapter, most probably...

Share your opinions, vote and comment!