11. The Invitation

Almost a month later, Hermione still couldn't wipe the smile off her face as she replayed their first date over and over in her head. After their kiss, Draco had wanted to know everything. What it was like growing up with Muggle parents, how she found out she was a witch, what her parents did for a living. Hermione understood the questions; he was raised to despise people like her.

She smiled warmly when she remembered how his cold, grey eyes lit up with excitement when she had mentioned how she thought her parents would really like him.

Draco's questions had then moved on to their time at school. It felt like he couldn't get enough of the sound of her voice; like everything she had to say was the most interesting thing in the world.

He asked about her O.W.Ls, how she came up with the glowing Galleon for Dumbledore's Army in Fifth year, exclaimed unbelievably when she told him about the first time she brewed a Polyjuice Potion in Second Year. He even asked about the year her, Harry and Ron had spent hunting horcruxes, although, he was very careful not to mention the short stay they had at Malfoy Manor.

Hermione had never been with someone quite like Draco Malfoy. He hung on to her every word, laughed at her silly jokes, held doors open for her; the complete opposite of what she thought he was capable of. She had rattled on for hours that day talking about herself. The whole time, he let her run her fingers absentmindedly over his skin. Not even flinching when she traced over his fading Dark Mark.

What was even more impressive was how absolutely romantic and thoughtful Draco was. He showered her in extravagant dates to the most lavish restaurants where they sipped luxurious champagne and ate expensive food. Although Hermione enjoyed it, she always felt just a little bit out of place. But he also took her to the park where they sat under trees and read together. He took her hiking; she had laughed watching how uncomfortable he was, muttering about how they should just apparate to the top. He created such a perfect balance between his world and hers. She almost couldn't believe it.

As Hermione walked into work, she gave a friendly wave to Rose who had been much more subdued since her 'date' with Draco. Hermione remembered talking to Rose one morning and mentioning Draco, being surprised to find that, not only did Rose not remember her 'date' with him, she also couldn't seem to remember what she liked about him in the first place. Hermione had walked away from that conversation shaking her head, knowing Draco was completely responsible for her lack of memories.

As Hermione walked down the corridor towards her office, she noticed the faintest smell of lilies. She opened her office door and stared in shock. The entire room was covered in enormous bunches of beautiful lilies. White, pink, yellow, every colour she could imagine. Hermione remembered telling him that the smell of lilies reminded her of home, and she smiled widely, appreciating how thoughtful this was. She slowly walked in, almost dizzy with excitement, and reached out to touch a flower, wanting to make sure it was real. As her fingers grazed the petal of the beautiful white lily, it popped, setting off a chain reaction that had every flower in the room disappearing one at a time, throwing, in the air, a cloud of pretty white flurry. Hermione stood there, in awe, as she was showered in tiny, sparkling little snowflakes that disappeared before they touched the ground.

Sitting on her desk was a carefully placed envelope. Recognising immediately, the blood red wax seal of Draco Malfoy, she tore open the envelope and opened the parchment inside. Written in Draco's beautiful cursive handwriting she read:

My Hermione,

I combed the entirety of London for every possible lily I could find. I hope the magic was well enough to impress even you (I practiced for hours to get it right).

She smiled deeply, holding the letter to her chest for a moment, feeling every bit impressed, before continuing,

My Mother has invited me for dinner, and I would adore it if you would come. I understand if you are apprehensive, I would just really love the opportunity to show you that we have changed for the better.

All my love,

Draco.

Hermione needed to sit down. The thought of meeting his parents terrified her. She hadn't been to his home since the war. She looked down at her arm, flexing it so that the scar spelling Mudblood shone in the light. Hermione needed to do this for Draco. After every effort he had made for her, this was the least she could do. But his parents...

She got up slowly to retrieve her parchment and quill. With shaky hands and a thumping heartbeat, she wrote her reply. Sending it off with a wave of her wand, she closed her eyes, imagining Draco's delight when it floated down delicately to land on his desk.