16 - Odd One Out

The setting Sun signaled Hadrian Castle to throw open its heavy gates. In the vast courtyard, rowdy farmers and craftsmen drank to their hearts' fill while their wives gossiped, and their wee children ran on the grass. Young lovers danced arm-in-arm as minstrels belted tune after tune on their various instruments.

In the Great Hall, lords and ladies stood conversing in groups, drinks in hand, while their teenage children and attendants paired up and whirled around on the dance floor.

Such a manor-wide celebration was a first for Meya. Unfortunately, as the host, she must join the Baron, Baroness and Lord Zier at the front of the hall to greet and thank each distinguished guest. And her husband wasn't even here to keep her company!

Coris hadn't put so much as a toe outside his bedroom for the entire day. Zier reported poor lad had returned to his pillows' beckoning embrace the moment Zier forced the last spoonful of breakfast into his mouth.

Meya had been stuck practicing embroidery with Baroness Sylvia for the whole afternoon. Once she'd reduced her right forefinger to little more than a bleeding pincushion, the Baroness led her to the front gate to welcome the Baron and the lords back from hunting. Then, she was whisked away by the chamberlain to dress up for the feast. There wasn't one opening for her to sneak off and see Coris.

To make matters worse, each approaching guest would naturally ask where Coris was. And naturally, the Baron wouldn't enjoy telling them time and again his son was too sick even to attend his own wedding feast.

As guest after guest repeated the question, Baron Kellis's mood soured. He'd shoot dark looks at Meya once the visitors had drifted away, as if it was Meya's fault.

Meya strived to look as contrite as she could. Well, it was her fault. Coris had a good reason to not be here.

At least, she thought that was the case. Say Beau was up to his job and the message did reach Coris, it wasn't likely Coris would immediately make a noticeable move. There was still a month of opportunity window left. They'd only been in Hadrian three days. Meya didn't expect Gillian would glean enough leads on the dowry's whereabouts to strike anytime soon.

Maybe Coris is actually just sick, Meya consoled herself, which makes it your fault anyway since your lady pillows excited him too much.

Meya blushed at the thought. Freda hadn't been gracious to Meya with her blessings, but she was generous when it came to her bosom department. Coris couldn't seem to get enough of them last night and, to be honest, they were still somewhat sore.

Meya's head, hands and chest weren't the only painful parts of her body, however. Her stomach was starting its own riot. Half an hour had passed since the feast started, but the long table in the middle of the hall remained empty. 

The Baroness surveyed the guests every so often to make sure they were still content. Her husband has struck up yet another conversation with a balding, ale-bellied old nobleman, Marquess Fratengarde, so she couldn't nip away to check on the scullery.

Meya was worried about the food, too, but not for the same reasons. With their measly manpower, Gillian suggested he might have to knock everyone in the castle out when time came for the search.

Gillian could use the fireplaces and torches to smoke the room with sleeping draught, but he could spike the food as well. Every guest and most guards were gathered in the Great Hall, making for a rare opportunity to search the rest of the castle, not to mention everyone was bound to eat or drink something.

If Coris was as smart as everyone said he was, he'd no doubt have realized this. Did he guess the food would be spiked and stopped it leaving the kitchen? Or was it Lady Arinel? She was working in the scullery, wasn't she?