Kabanata 24 - Male Lead and the Maid

Kabanata 24

The male lead and the maid

"That's a cute panda!" Ngisi ni Kuya Gabriel as he peeks into my embroidery, "Mukhang hindi pagpapawisan ang Duke sa Spring Hunt ah?"

Namula ang mukha ko sa sinabi ni Gabriel kaya naman agad kong tinago ang panyo na binuburdahan.

Kanina lamang ay tila hindi maganda ang mood niya pero ngayon ay hindi na siya matigil ang kakainis sa akin. I asked him kung may problema siya kanina but then he shrugged and said, "Hindi ko lang maialis ang usapan namin ng Duke kagabi."

Nang tanungin ko kung ano ang napag-usapan nila, Gabriel became restless at pilit iniiba ang usapan. Perhaps it is a topic I should not know kaya ganoon na lamang ang naging reaksyon ng Kuya ko.

"It is truly well done, my lady. But it is... Uhm."

I looked at Portia as she stands at my side. Naka ngiti siya pero nakikita ko ang pagkahilaw n'un. Tiningnan ko ang imahe na tinahi ko sa panyo. It was a character from we bare bears. It is very famous in my own world. I have a huge collection of it on my past life.

"Yes? What is it, Portia?"

Tumikhim siya at saka muling nagsalita, "If you're planning on giving a handkerchief to the Duke, I think it would be better if you embroid a crescent moon with cross on its middle, or a shield and two swords across each other on front of it since those two were the symbols of House dela Fleur."

"Oh. I am not giving this to anyone." I was planning to have a collection of handkerchiefs na may mga burda ng mga cute na bagay mula sa dati kong mundo.

"How about giving it to me, Amaury?" Ani Gabriel, I forgot na nandito pa din siya.

"Should I make one that would suit you brother?" I said as I put the handkerchief away at kumuha ng bagong silk upang maka-pagsimula na muli ng iba.

Ngumiti siya, "I would love that, Amaury."

Tumango ako, "I'll make one for you right now."

Narinig ko ang sunod-sunod na tikhim ni Portia. I looked at her at nakita ang pasimpling irap niya kay Gabriel na ikinatawa lamang ng Kuya ko.

"I've heard that the duke has yet to accept a Lady's handkerchief."

"Then he can start accepting now. But Amaury's first handkerchief would be mine." Ani Gabriel na para kay Portia.

Humalukipkip si Portia, "Lady Amaury is the duke's fiancée. Her first handkerchief should be honour by the Duke himself."

"I am his brother."

Ngumisi si Portia kay Gabriel. I can see so much confidence and angst on this girl. The maids on this mansion knew to always respect their Lords and Lady. But Portia is always the opposite. Magsasalita siya kapag pakiramdam niya ay may hindi tama tulad na lamang ngayon.

"You are from House Clerebold, Lord Gabriel. While the Lady is now engaged to head of House dela Fleur."

"She is still a Clerebold habang hindi pa siya kasal. Blood is thicker than water."

"You lose your claims on Lady Amaury when you accepted the dowry from the Duke, Lord Clerebold." Ani Portia.

I can see Gabriel's smirk, na minsanan lamang niya pinapakita. He seems impressed to this woman in front of her. And Portia in other hand, glaring to Gabriel na tila sanay na sa ganitong sitwasyon.

Gabriel leans on the table as he continues to smirk to my maid, "Portia, is your answer to my offer still the same?"

Nagpalipat lipat ang tingin ko sa dalawa. Bakit tila nag-iba ang ihip ng hangin ngayon? Nakita kong natigilan si Portia. Her eyes were now clouded with emotion, but her expression remains the same. Everyone is very good at hiding their emotions huh.

"Don't say such ridiculous things in front of my Lady."

Bumuntong hininga si Gabriel as he backs off, "Just remember my offer would always be open to you, Portia. Just for you."

Nag-iwas ng tingin si Portia sa kuya ko at binaling ang atensyon sakin. She quickly changes back the topic bago pa ako makapagtanong. I can tell that there's something going on in her. Hindi ko lamang ma pinpoint iyon pero alam ko na mayroon. The way they act are very suspicious. I tried to remember Portia on the original novel. Walang character na lumabas doon na nag-ngangalang Portia. I don't have any information on who she was.

"As I was saying, my lady. You should give the first one to the duke. If you present it to him, your handkerchief would be the first one he will accept after so many years."

Ngumisi na lamang ako, "Oh. Should I?"

I answered na kahit ang utak ay lumulutang pa din dahil sa pag-iisip tungkol kay Gabriel at Portia.

"Yes, my lady." She poured tea on my teacup, "You are his fiancée. He will be delighted to have a handkerchief from you."

I wasn't on planning to give him one but whatever.

"Okay then. It would be great if he accepts it, hmm."

What we are talking about was the Spring Hunt. Every year before the start of summer season, the kingdom set a side of 3 days towards the mountain and field to hunt wild animals, or even monster. Various nobles and aristocrats famous for their fighting abilities attended the hunt. But the most interesting is that a hunter can dedicate his kills on her chosen lady. To the males it is sort of like who is the strongest. But on for the ladies, it is a competition to know who's the most famous and sought-after Lady in the Empire.

Dale and Gabriel never offered their kills to anyone before... But that's none of my concern. I know he wouldn't offer it to me. He doesn't like attention.

We heard a few knocks on the door and a maid come in holding a bunch of letters. I was expecting that it was for me pero dumiretso ang katulong sa gawi ni Gabriel. Ibinigay niya ang lahat ng liham kay Kuya.

Tamad na binasa ni Kuya ang mga liham. "Tsk. All of these are from ladies who wants to give me a handkerchief." Maktol niya.

Tumawa ako bahagya, "Because you look so handsome, big brother. Kaya naman sikat na sikat ka sa mga kababaihan dito. Even Dale was famous."

Ngimisi si Kuya, "Oho. Don't group me with that monkey looking Duke. Mas gwapo ang Kuya mo, Amaury, okay?"

Umiling nalang ako sa sinabi niya. When I didn't answer, Gabriel started to look at his letters again.

His expression hardens as he continues to read the last letter. When he was finish with the last one kumunot ang noo niya then looked through the pile of letter on the table. His eyebrows rose a little as if realizing something.

"May problema ba Kuya?"

Ngumisi siya at sumipol, "It was good news actually. It seems like that Beatrice Childe stopped pursuing me. Wala ang letter niya ngayon."

He got my attention when he mentions Beatrice. Of course. Beatrice the villainous woman in the novel would cause a scene on the Hunt when Gabriel offered his first kill to Lady Emeline. My brother would protect Emeline when Beatrice wanted to hurt her. Because of the hunt, magsisimulang mapansin ni Emeline si Gabriel. Not as her childhood friend, but as a man.

"Baka paparating pa lamang ang liham niya?" Suhestiyon ko. I don't think Beatrice would give up Gabriel that easily.

He shrugged, "Mas mabuti pa nga na wala. I can't handle that woman. She is too obsessed with me!"

"Uhm... Ano..." I heard my maid, Beth, speak up, "...pardon me for speaking suddenly. Pero narinig ko sa bayan na na-stranded ang pamilyang Childe sa Southeast kaya hindi makaka-attend sa Spring Hunt. Madaming aristocrats ang nanghihinayang. They were ready to offer their kill to Lady Beatrice pero ngayon ay hindi na nila magagawa."

Ngiting tagumpay si Kuya sa narinig habang ako ay napanganga. Beatrice attendance on the Spring Hunt is a must! Kung wala siya doon ay hindi magkakaroon ng improvement ang relationship ni Gabriel at Emeline! What the fuck happened? They weren't supposed to travel on this time of month. Walang ganitong nangyari sa novel noon. Nabago na naman ba ang takbo ng storya? Dahil na naman ba ito sakin? It's not my intention to ruin the plot. I only made my move because my life depended on it.

Right now... I can't be certain of anything.

But...

Did the fundamental about the story change due to me surviving?