25

—

The paramedics were called and the boys were taken to the nearest hospital. We have come up with an excuse that, they had drunk too much. It was a really dumb excuse but we were lucky enough to have them fall for it.

Now we all sat around the kitchen table as I awaited for Dexter to explain everything. Alejandro sat beside me, a hand on my knee for comfort, "So..." I trailed off. Dexter sat there; running a hand through his hair in frustration.

He didn't know where to begin, "Audrey," he started off, "I'm not as good as you think I am." He told me. He can't be serious right? He just knocked out a bunch of guys like it was nothing.

"Yeah, clearly." I rolled my eyes and I heard Alejandro let out a low chuckle from beside me. Dexter sent me a glare, before adjusting himself in his seat.

"You're wondering how I ended up in this mess and where I've been all those years...." Dexter trailed off, "I ran away from home, and I'm not sure if dad ever told you that-" I cut him off.

"He didn't," I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "He told me that you chose to live with mom." I told him. His expression changed. I remember dad telling me about having a long lost brother.

"That's not exactly erm true," Dexter paused, sighing heavily, "Dad was abusive towards me, Audrey." He told me. I raised both my eyebrows. Abusive? Father was never abusive towards me; never had he ever let me down.

"W-What?" I manage to stutter out. I felt Alejandro tense up beside me. I have completely forgotten he was beside me.

"Why'd you think Mom and Dad got a divorce?" Dexter chuckled to himself. This wasn't funny at all, "Mom left him and dragged me along with her; we ran away," he paused, taking a deep breath, "You weren't born at that time. Mom was pregnant."

"Yeah right." I heard Alejandro mumble to himself. Thankfully Dexter didn't hear me as his gaze was set on me. I was confused and lost. I nudged Alejandro's leg in order for him to be quiet.

"Dexter," I started off, "Tell me how'd you end up in this mess," I paused. Dad was dead; it didn't matter how I was treated. This was reality, "How'd you end up in that whole gang thing."

"You're not gonna like this but," Dexter gulped, letting out a shaky breath, "Mom and Maddox," he paused. No no no, please don't tell me they had some sort of a thing, "Mom met Maddox at a nearby bar, that same night, she brought him home and they," he paused again, "spent the night uh together."

I didn't know what to say so I kept quiet. I never met my mother but just the fact she had sex with a man so much younger than her; most likely, disgusts me, "Maddox? Out of everyone?" Alejandro scoffed. I gave him a look; was that really what mattered to him and not the fact my mother had spent the night with a man so much younger?

"Yeah," Dexter nodded his head, "Lemme continue," he paused, leaning forward and crossing his arms on the table, "Very next day, Mom introduced him to me and well, he offered me a job," Dexter glanced at Alejandro then at me, "Mom had told him that we were running low on money and in return, that son of a bitch offered me a job," Dexter clenched his jaw, "He lied to my mother, he had told her that it was a job at a cafe that his parent's owned. Mom fell for his trap and gave me away to him."

"And so you went on to be apart of his gang?" I finished off for him. Dexter nodded his head. I didn't really know what to say. I just sighed heavily. The only good thing about today was that the purge was over, "I need a moment to think about everything." With that, I stood up and left. I noticed that Alejandro had followed me and I didn't mind it at all.