22. A Theme of Unknown & Breaking the Cycle

Dylan was knocked back immediately, head impacting the bathroom wall and leaving a small crater in the plaster. Amber was knocked back as well, her backside catching the corner and bringing her to the ground faster than anticipated.

Now it appeared that only Dylan was conscious.

Bryce had curled into a ball by the front door, knees pulled into his chest and fingers gripping his legs like those were the last piece of him before he disappeared. Yet his eyes radiated blue and yellow with swirling black where the pupils had been, and he remained perfectly still amidst the storm he brought into Dylan's flat.

In that single moment, Dylan felt immensely calm.

He also felt crushing isolation, fear, and depressed.

The winds had pushed both Amber and Dylan back, but then forced them down like an elevator rising too fast. The force kept the two pinned to the floor easily, and uprooted furniture that was light or hadn't been properly balanced shifted: side tables collapsed and blew across the floor before stopping, lights shattered against the rushing air, every single window pane blew out and threatened to suck everything out with the changed pressure.

The sound outside was alarming, and the shattered glass that fell to the street brought about several emergency calls from pedestrians and tenants of the nearby buildings.

His back to the floor and watching paperwork fly over his head, as well as the tinted blue, yellow, and black winds whip around him, Dylan pulled the cell from his pocket and swiped his phone to call the emergency services. Sliding his phone across the floor towards his face, he listened to the ringing before someone picked up.

"Hello, emergency service operator, which service do you require? Fire, Police, or Ambulance?"

"I need the Soulmate Institution," shouted Dylan above the noise present.

"I'll connect you now."

And he waited an agonizing five seconds, listening intently to the ringing and whistling wind, before finally hearing a man speak on the other end; "Hello, Soulmate Institute. Where are you calling from?"

"The...the corner of Richmond Mews and Steiner Street; flat 4B."

"The nature of your emergency?"

"My Soulmate just brought a hurricane into my flat."

In any emergency placed over the telephone, questions would follow, but Dylan only heard, "We'll send someone along. Corner of Richmond Mews and Steiner Street, correct?"

"Yes."

"Someone will be there in less than three minutes." And the line went dead.

The man turned over and slid his phone back into his pocket. Bryce hadn't moved, still curled in a ball on the floor and eyes still glowing blue with specks of black; this time, however, Dylan noticed Bryce's Glow thumping against the overwhelming blue wind, but now the rich, golden yellow light had turned into a darker, almost staler goldenrod colour.

"Bryce!" called Dylan through the wind, a piece of paper swinging and leaving a cut on his chin. "Bryce!"

The man curled into himself further, his joints moving in small shifts rather than fluid motions, like a machine starting up after decades of inactivity; the result was that the wind increased in acceleration. Dylan screamed his Soulmate's name again, but his voice was drowned out; Bryce's name never reached him.

The now-empty windowpanes of Dylan's flat whistled to the people down on the street, the blue and black winds whipping around the voided space before dispersing out over the parked cars on the opposite side of Steiner Street.