Chapter 82

Lady K

Lady K

It was a cold night.

Really cold. So cold that Natalie had a blanket over her shoulders and a mug of hot coffee in her hands to keep them warm while she looked outside the window. The heater wasn't doing any justice to how cold the whole house was. She was worried. You could see how worried she was even if you were standing far from her in the living room. She slowly raised her wrist so she could have a quick glance at her wrist watch. It was really late. She was used to him coming home late sometimes, but this time, it time was different.

"Here's your tea."

She quickly turned around so she could see the aged woman in a white apron behind her who had just kept another mug of coffee on the table.

"Nanny." She called her. "Nanny, has he called yet?"

By he, she was referring to her husband. Referring to Christian. She had barely seen him all day and that was what really scared her. She always knew of his whereabouts but this time, it was like she didn't know anything anymore. She looked into the woman's eyes, hoping the woman was going to say the words "yes" but instead, she just smiled.

"If you're worried about him so much, why don't you just call him?" She asked her. Natalie's frown got worse as she exhaled. "You've been standing in front of the window for over an hour now, looking outside and looking into your phone many times than I can count. If you're really worried about him, then call him."

"It's not that easy Nanny."

The woman looked at her for a short while and then exhaled. She stretched her hands and took her arms slowly, pulling her to one of the chairs so they could sit for the talk she was dying to have with her. Natalie just followed her lead.

"Ozioma." She still had a wide smile on her face as she stared into Natalie's eyes while Natalie stared right back. Her anxiety becoming obvious especially since the woman had referred to her first in her African name. "My child." She continued. "I've known you almost all your life. I've been with you since you learned how to walk. I know how you look when you're anxious, the look on your face when you really care about something, when you're really worried about something you truly care about. That's the look on your face right now."

Natalie exhaled.

"I know you are fighting so hard within yourself to hide how you really feel, to make it less obvious but sometimes, it shouldn't have to be like that. Sometimes, you have to know that it's okay to feel the way you feel. It's okay to accept certain truths. It's okay to tell yourself that you care about your husband. He might not have been your choice partner initially but you've grown to like him, a lot. A lot to always wait for him to get home before you sleep."

Natalie rubbed her mug gently. In as much as she tried to deny it within herself, The woman's words were true. She had began to notice how she had become so drawn to the man she married unintentionally. How her heart always broke for him every time, and how worried she always was at nights like this. Nights when he wasn't home at almost midnight.