Chapter 13

The sleep that Anna had that night was the most comfortable that she had ever had. While breakfast was definitely not as much of a feast as dinner had been the previous night, Anna was still able to eat her fill. Once everyone was finished they went to their classes. First they had Transfiguration with the Hufflepuffs. Transfiguration was an interesting class, and Anna had been right when she thought that Professor McGonagall wasn't a teacher to cross. She was very strict, but Anna could also tell that she cared about her students. But perhaps the most boring class was History of Magic. It certainly didn't help that Professor Binns' voice was so monotonous that Anna had to struggle to not fall asleep. But still, the days passed quickly, and Anna quickly made friends. However, she made sure to steer clear of Pansy.
A bitter rivalry had developed between the girls. They could frequently be seen in the halls, Pansy ridiculing Anna in one way or another, Anna coming up with a snappy comeback.
Friday came, and with it, their first Potions class. Anna had heard dozens of stories of the Potions professor, Severus Snape, none of them good. He was the Head of Slytherin House, and as such favored its students, being quick to give them points and being just as quick to take points away from the other houses. Potions lessons took place in the dungeons, and Anna shivered a little as she wrapped her robes tighter around herself.
Snape started by taking roll call, and he stopped when he got to Harry's name. "Ah, yes. Harry Potter. Our new celebrity." Draco and his goons sniggered, and Anna sent death stares their way. Snape's voice was so low that she had to almost strain to hear him.
"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making." Though his voice was low, somehow the students heard every word. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death- if you aren't as big a group of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Anna raised an eyebrow as she processed this speech. She could already tell that she would hate Snape with a passion. Suddenly Snape whirled to face her. "Ten points from Gryffindor, Potter."
"But I didn't even do anything!" Anna objected.
"Another five points for talking back."
Anna's jaw dropped open, but she didn't say another word. She instead focused on her book, making notes when she had to. Snape seemed to criticize everyone except for Draco, who he obviously favored. Draco sent a smirk Anna's way, and she had to keep herself from rolling her eyes at the blonde.
Snape was in the process of telling everyone how perfectly Draco's slugs had been stewed when clouds of green smoke filled the room. Neville had somehow managed to melt Seamus Finnegan's cauldron into a twisted blob, and their potion seeped across the dungeon floor, burning holes in people's shoes. Poor Neville had been drenched in the stuff and was covered in red boils.
"Potter!" Snape said to Anna. "Take Longbottom to the hospital ward before he causes any more damage."
Anna nodded and she led Neville out, being careful not to get any of the potion on herself. "I'm sorry I'm so clumsy." Neville groaned and Anna shook her head. "Don't worry about it, it gives me an excuse to get out of Snape's class."
"Why is he so mean to us?"
"I don't know. I wish that I did."
They reached the hospital ward and the matron, Madame Pomfrey, ushered Neville into a bed. "Thank you, Miss Potter, I shall take it from here."
Anna made her way slowly back to the dungeons and by the time she had gotten back, class had just ended. Harry and Ron came shuffling up to her. "Thank God that's over." Harry mumbled and Anna nodded. "He's an absolute terror." She suddenly started to snicker. "Although I would have never pegged Malfoy as a teacher's pet type." Harry and Ron both laughed, their moods lightened considerably. "I almost forgot." Harry said suddenly. "Hagrid sent me a letter, he wants us to come to his hut for tea."
"Can I come?" Ron asked, and naturally they told him that of course he could. As soon as classes were over they were off.