Chapter 7 - Baby Steps

A/N: hope ya'll are ready for some teeth-rotting fluff :) This is where things start to get... interesting ;))))

Chapter 7

"What?" I exclaim a little too loudly. "I'm the new pilot?"

"Only took a whole month of convincing, but yeah," Poe smiles widely. I look down at my mom from her short stance.

She nods with a small grin. I squeal a bit and jump before I hug my mom and then jump to Poe. I pull back quickly but his hand stays on my waist. "If I could kiss you right now, I would," I tell him jokingly.

"Why don't you then?" he remarks and I punch him in the arm, earning me a small 'ow' from him. "That's no way to treat your commander,"

I shake my head and roll my eyes at him, moving away from his embrace slinging an arm over mom's shoulders. "So you did this?" I ask him in disbelief.

"Yeah, I saw you in the hangar that day and I could tell how passionate you are about flying so I went straight to you, General, and started to try convincing her," he moves closer to me again and places the helmet on my head. "Welcome to the black squadron, Kibo. Let's go out for a test run, huh?"

I nod excitedly, the helmet staying perfectly in place. Quickly, I got changed into the new flight suit that was waiting for me in the changing rooms and skip back out to the x-wing that was now mine. "Let's go!" I exclaim to Poe who was securing BB-8 into his ship.

He laughs at my excitement and winks before beginning to climb the ladder to his seat. "Now, this is only a test run so try and keep it professional like it's the real thing,"

"Only if you do, Flyboy," I climb into my own bit and strap myself in, squirming a little to get comfortable in the new environment.

"Checking 1, 2, 1, 2," I hear Poe's voice loudly through the helmet making me jump a little.

"Loud and clear, Dameron," I shake my head as I flick the switches to turn on the ship, eager to go.

"Let's go then," he says as his own black ship lights up and we lift off and exit the hanger. "Only stay in the perimetre for today, just to get your bearings, ok?"

"Yup!" I steady the ship and take a deep breath. I feel my grip on the handle get tighter and my palms start to get sweaty under the steering gloves I have to wear.

"Don't be nervous, I'm right here," He reassures me through the comms. I nod even if he can't see me and straighten my back in confidence. "Follow me, we are going to do shooting practice,"

He slowly turns around and ambles the route to this shooting range. "Pick up the speed, Dameron. I don't need baby steps," I groan as I follow him slowly.

He chuckles and I can only imagine the shit eating smirk that is probably covering his face. "Alright, Kibo. You don't want baby steps? Not baby steps is what you'll get,"

In a second, the back of his jets have turned a neon blue and he is speeding off. I adjust my settings and speed off after him towards force knows where.

"You're right. You don't need baby steps," he remarks with a slightly surprised tone.

"Never underestimate me, Flyboy," I smile, but he doesn't know that. I think.

"I never did," he sounds sarcastically upset, earning him an eye roll on my behalf. There's a beeping from his ship which I recognise as BB-8. "Got it buddy! Kibo, prepare for landing,"

"Got it, bossman," I prepare the ship for the landing pad and begin to lower down as he does the same.

As I feel the ship land securely, I completely turn it off and open the hatch. I exit as he gets out of his own and walking down the ladder I realise how truly shaky my legs are. "You got talent, kid," he smirks at me, taking his balck helmet off his head and revealing his now shaggy black curly hair. Please let my heart slow down.