43 | Open

Nora couldn't do this.

She shoved off the tiled floor, and paced the length of the small room. It wasn't much—just a waiting room for those who planned on getting baptized in the tub hidden underneath the stage. There was a window, a chair, and a potted plant. That was it.

She wrung her hands, shoved them through her hair. She reached for her necklace and collapsed in the chair. Was this a stupid idea? It was a stupid idea, wasn't it? She was sure.

No. It was a good idea. She was just nervous.

She hopped out of the chair and reached for the door. Was he out there? Or had he changed his mind? She wouldn't be able to blame him if he had. If he'd done what she'd done to him...

She closed her eyes and took a deep, steadying breath. If he chooses to come, great. If he doesn't, that's okay. I am not responsible for how others react.

But I hurt—

Yes. You did. And you made the decision to reach out. It's his choice now.

She wrapped her fingers around the handle and twisted.

The once muffled cacophony burst to life as she peeked out into the sanctuary. She only allowed a tiny crack, just enough to see her pew. She wouldn't be able to face him right now. She had to get through this first, then talk. That was the plan.

Life doesn't always go according to plan.

Yeah, well, she'd prefer it if, this time, it could.

"No-No!"

Riley spun around in her pew and catapulted herself into Nolan's arms. As he lifted her into the air, Nora's heart lifted. He came. And he was smiling.

He's smiling at Riley. Not you.

But he's here.

Andy, Max, and Erin settled beside Nolan just as he set Riley back onto the floor. They were all grinning from ear to ear. Nora leaned into the doorway. She knew she'd missed this, but she hadn't realized just how deeply until she saw them all there, happy and smiling and light. It was like a newly tuned instrument—so, so satisfying.

Andy said something, and Nolan shrugged. She wished she could be out there, laughing with them, but no. Not yet.

As they headed for their pew, Nora shut the door and leaned against it. A small smile lingered on her lips. Everything was going to be okay. Thank You. She paused. Please let this work.

"Hello, everybody!" Nora's stomach squeezed as Nathan's voice sprang to life. "How's everyone doing?"

"Good!" a few people yelled.

He chuckled. "That's good to hear. I'm doing just swell, thanks for asking."

Andy hadn't asked in time. Too distracted by Nolan's return?

Nora grabbed her guitar—a gift from Rachel—from where she'd set it next to the chair. She gripped it securely in her hand as she waited for her cue. She stood there, eyes closed, attempting to slow her rapidly beating heart.

She would be out there, on stage, by herself. None of her friends would be there. None of them even knew she was doing this. The only ones she'd told were Nathan, Rachel, and Willow. Rachel was out in the audience, there for moral support. Nora had told her where Andy and the others sat, but Rachel had insisted on sitting alone. "I don't want to spoil the surprise!"

"Let's all stand and get our worship on," Nathan said.

Her eyes flew open. It was time.

She couldn't do this.