025.

"So, the Black Lives Matter movement. Any thoughts?" Mr. Simmons slapped a red ball back and forth in his hands.

I stayed up all night studying for tests I didn't feel the need to prepare for a debate, that was worth my grade.

My heads been everywhere not to mention I found out a little family secret and Taylor isn't even dead. I was thinking long and hard about everything. It all made sense to me though.

Conversations with my parents were hard, I wasn't really mad at them but when I get frustrated I just wanna be left alone. I get irritated so fast I don't pay attention to the shit that comes out my mouth.

"Can I answer?" Cydni raised her hand and Simmons chucked the ball at her.

I already know she had some crooked prejudice shit to say.

"I feel like the Black Lives Matter movement is unnecessary. No other group of people are crying out for help, blacks just want attention so bad," she shrugged her shoulders and a fire already ignited inside me.

"You better watch yo' fuckin' mouth, disrepsecting the people that build this fucking country let alone the whole country. This supposed to be a debate bitch," I snapped and Mr. Simmons head jolted towards me.

"Santana, calm down," he looked at me with soft eyes.

"What? I cussed, she just disrespected your people and you gone tell me to calm down?" I scoffed, he was slowly turning into an uncle Tom. "But whatever, Cydni you better watch how you speak on black people foreal,"

"Well, I'm not done," she wiggled her head side to side trying to tease me, but it's straight I had something for her ass. "The Black Lives Matter group was funded by white people. You guys would rather spend money on Jordan's and weave, all these material things but can't fund a business or a program without the white man's money. Y'all don't care about yourselves so why should we?"

"Cydni, keep it respectful. This isn't what the debate should be about, respect your classmates you attend an all black school. Is that the message you wanna put out? That you hate blacks? You don't care about other races?" Mr. Simmons leaned against his desk. His arms were folded and with the way his eyes grew wide, I knew he felt a way about what she was saying.

And so was everyone else. And as a group of black kids in one room, nobody jumped her. Now imagine if the roles were reversed.

We ain't ever been violent towards white people, even when they act like this. Something in me just wishes our ancestors retaliated but we gone win in the end.

We been down for so long I can't wait for the come up, we deserve it more than anybody.

"Aye, can I say some Mr. Simmons?" Ray's deep voice spoke from behind me.

"Go ahead," he said tossing the ball to him, making me flench and duck my head.

I heard the ball bounce off Rashawn's hands as he caught it. "Yo', Cydni why you in this class? You hate us so much but taking a damn class about the history, with a bunch of black people. Stay running yo' mouth like one of these girls in here won't drag you after class. And nah I ain't even finna keep being ignorant cause I ain't gone give you that much power over me. Yo' people have killed our kids, raped our kids, raped pregnant women, and fucked up a generation of people's minds. You need to sit this one out, this debate and for muhfuckas like you, you need to be mad at yo' people cause black people ain't done shit to you."

Mr. Simmons was the only teacher in the county that let us cuss, like we were grown, he shouldn't but he cuss too.

He just looked over to Cydni and shook his head while Ray let her have it. I wasn't even gone keep going back and forth with her and with the way I been feeling, I'd hurt that girl.

"You speaking off assumptions and stereotypes and I'm just giving you the facts. Sorry your people so insecure and selfish," he shook his head and threw the ball back to Simmons.

Niecey wasn't at school today so I ain't have my friend to talk to. She was skipping with Carlos, it's been like that the past week.

I wanted to pull my phone out and text Colbie but I would fail for having my phone out. I just pressed my hand up against my cheek, getting lost in my thoughts.