Chapter One Hundred & Twenty-Nine | Fourth World

[ 129 ]

When the last rumbles of the storm faded, leaving behind the newly-established clan which had adapted efficiently with their surroundings, more and more heads began to poke out. Like small animals seeing if the coast was clear from lurking predators. The warming sunlight pierced the clouds and helped dry the land. People were given the confidence to explore, to return to the patches of ground they had been cultivating in order to grow sufficient stock. Which was followed by children who were untouched by the oppression that went hand-in-hand with Viper's normal day to day.

A week had past since Finch had arrived. Fyre had been more than eager to introduce him to everyone, which Finch had to admit he was the most nervous about. Along with Falcon and his uncle, a handful of old Viper clansmen had followed them across the open plains and to a new home. Some of them recognised his face— or perhaps just from the token in his ear— and held some reservations. Which were effectively dealt with by Fyre, who spoke highly of Finch and his relationship with his nephew.

Even so, there was a noticeable tension when they all ate together that first evening. But Finch remained comfortably situated beside Fyre, who talked his ear off when enthusiastically speaking about their new home and what the future holds. Needless to say, whether it was after that meal or a day or two down the line, those who questioned Finch's motives were satisfied that the young boy wasn't a threat.

Finch, who had been expecting to be chased out of the territory by people wielding pitchforks, was surprised by how easily he fit in. But he did feel the strain when Fyre introduced him to people his own age. Perhaps it was only those young people who could see how weird Finch truly was. As he barely showed any interest in the activities they offered or the antics they got up to.

Fahren had always had to play a maturer role, to make sure he always had his eyes open and scouting for possible danger. He felt that by being placed with the other children, he would be kept out of the loop. Which meant that he would be protected; others making crucial decisions for him. It didn't sit well with him, and he couldn't hide that awkwardness when with the children. In the end, Finch kept disappearing from their group and found himself joyfully exploring his new location.

Though he couldn't recall people's names, their faces gradually grew familiar as he greeted them in the coming mornings as he walked by. Amidst his explorations, he came across an open space which was being used by those who were continuously training. All sorts of different techniques were being honed and trained, which Finch found oddly relaxing being around.

Their position was one furthest from the bustling routine of the rest of the clan. In an elevated position where they could both train and watch the horizon. It was also free from people who would plague Finch with questions regarding his own family and that of Falcon, who many women were most interested in.

Said eye-catcher had been keeping himself busy. Finch felt the withdrawal from the man's absence, the comfort he brought when around him and most importantly, the safety that came with it. He couldn't help but wonder if it was a deliberate act, as Falcon seemed to have disappeared completely. Only on occasion would Finch catch a glimpse of him out the corner of his eye at dinner before he was gone.

Perhaps that was another reason why Finch naturally moved towards the training grounds. But he still managed to miss the man. Finch had lapsed into his own routine since he now lived in the treehouse on his own. Although Falcon's possessions were still housed there. But it was now just Finch and the damned horse.

"You're here again." Was the tone of voice Finch couldn't decide whether to ignore or despise. A broad-shouldered man, much like those he was training alongside, slowly appeared in front of Finch who had taken up his regular position of minding his own business. From spending the last week living in a tree, Finch had adapted well to moving up and down one. So when joining the men who were throwing their weight around trying to take each other down, Finch clambered up a nearby tree and positioned himself comfortably where he could see what was down below, but also what was ahead.